ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

german visa?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

petereliot1
Newly Registered

german visa?

Post by petereliot1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:47 am

hello everyone,
i am an indian citizen married to a german citizen, we got married 6 moths ago in new york while we both were working in usa for 2 years.,my question
1-can i appy/ qualify for a german citizenship or can i register our marriage to qualify for a german id card?
2- can i atlest get a visa to visit my inlaws there? if yes wht type of visa do i get?
3- can i get a work visa in any eu country? as my spouse wants to be here in europe close to her family.
thank you

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: german visa?

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:30 pm

petereliot1 wrote:hello everyone,
i am an indian citizen married to a german citizen, we got married 6 moths ago in new york while we both were working in usa for 2 years.,my question
1-can i appy/ qualify for a german citizenship or can i register our marriage to qualify for a german id card?
2- can i atlest get a visa to visit my inlaws there? if yes wht type of visa do i get?
3- can i get a work visa in any eu country? as my spouse wants to be here in europe close to her family.
thank you
1. After three years residing I Germany I think, could be five tho - need to check.

2. Yes, not sure how tho.

3. Only if ur have German citizenship or if ur wife moves with you to another EU state. Ur effectively on the coat-tails of ur wife here.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:31 pm

thank you
Are you still in the US? To answer your questions;

1. No you cannot apply for German Citizenship merely by marriage to a German national. You must reside in Germany, I think for three years, and live as husband and wife before you can naturalise. You will also have to show your ability to speak German (pass a language test). Bear in mind you will have to give up your other nationalities (well, definately India does not recognise dual nationality, but if you are, say, a US citizen, you might also have to renounce that too). You will need to apply to move to Germany as a spouse, probably at the German embassy in the US.
2. I think you can apply for a visit visa or an EEA permit that allows you to visit, but I'm not 100% sure. It should all be free, as the spouse of an EEA citizen.
3. Yes, you need to apply for an EEA family permit. This board has so much information on that; see this post: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=17265
The EEA permit allows you to live/work along WITH your wife...you cannot use it to work in, for example, France, whilst she lives/work in Germany...you need to be together at all times. The EEA permit gives you unrestricted access to work in the country. Now, if you spent, say, one year in France, then you both wanted to move to Italy, I reckon you'll have to re-apply....so you can always have the EEA permit, but every new EEA country requires a new EEA permit! (I think).

BTW...EEA stands for European Economic Area (basically the EU plus some other non-EU countries like Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, etc).

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:27 pm

You should apply for a short stay schengen visa from the German Consulate in the country you are legally residing to visit your in-laws.

As long as your German spouse exercise a treaty right in any EU country you choose to settle, you are entitled to the same rights as hers.

Sakura, just for the record, Switzerland is not part of the EEA, but EFTA. As you pointed out, the EEA is all EU countries plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. The latter 3 non EU countries part of the EEA plus Switzerland makes up EFTA.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:42 pm

sakura wrote:
thank you

1. No you cannot apply for German Citizenship merely by marriage to a German national. You must reside in Germany, I think for three years, and live as husband and wife before you can naturalise. You will also have to show your ability to speak German (pass a language test). Bear in mind you will have to give up your other nationalities (well, definately India does not recognise dual nationality, but if you are, say, a US citizen, you might also have to renounce that too). You will need to apply to move to Germany as a spouse, probably at the German embassy in the US.
2. I think you can apply for a visit visa or an EEA permit that allows you to visit, but I'm not 100% sure. It should all be free, as the spouse of an EEA citizen.
3. Yes, you need to apply for an EEA family permit. This board has so much information on that; see this post: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=17265
The EEA permit allows you to live/work along WITH your wife...you cannot use it to work in, for example, France, whilst she lives/work in Germany...you need to be together at all times. The EEA permit gives you unrestricted access to work in the country. Now, if you spent, say, one year in France, then you both wanted to move to Italy, I reckon you'll have to re-apply....so you can always have the EEA permit, but every new EEA country requires a new EEA permit! (I think).

BTW...EEA stands for European Economic Area (basically the EU plus some other non-EU countries like Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, etc).
You don't have to give up us citizenship to get a german passport

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:31 pm

SYH wrote:
sakura wrote:
thank you

You don't have to give up us citizenship to get a german passport
For the OP, he actually can NOT be a dual national, neither with Germany and India NOR with Germany and (if he is a US citizen) with the US. The US embassy in Germany writes this (see especially point 4):
2. A child born to an American parent and a German parent acquires both American and German citizenship at birth, regardless of place of birth, if the parents satisfy the jus soli or jus sanguinis requirements of their respective countries. See the sections above entitled, "Basic Primer on American Citizenship Law," and "Basic Primer on German Citizenship Law." Neither country requires a person born under these circumstances to choose between American and German citizenship, i.e., he/she may keep both citizenships his/her entire life.

3. A child born in Germany to two American parents may also become a dual national at birth under the circumstances described in paragraph 4 in the section above entitled, "Basic Primer on German Citizenship Law." Under German law, he/she would have to choose between American and German citizenship before turning 23.

4. Under German law, a person may not have more than one citizenship unless he/she was born with both, as described in paragraphs 2 and 3 above. Thus, German law requires an American who becomes a German citizen through the Einbürgerung process (see paragraph 5 in the section entitled, "Basic Primer on German Citizenship Law") to formally renounce his/her American citizenship, and a German who becomes an American citizen (see paragraph 5 in the section entitled, "Basic Primer on American Citizenship Law") to give up his/her German citizenship.
Einbürgerung means German naturalisation.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 pm

I understand your point
my point is that the us isn't requiring he give it up, and this is the general principle from a us standpoint
that is the german rule under special conditios