ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence permit for EU spouse?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Noz03
European Union

Residence permit for EU spouse?

Post by Noz03 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Hey people. I am a British citizen, my wife is a Turkish citizen (married more than 1 year) and we both plan to live in Germany together. I know that the spouse of an EU citizen inherits my right of free movement in the EU but there is little information on how to apply for residency under this rule. I went to the Germany immigration office but they were less than useful.

Does anyone know the process for getting my wife the German residence card? What papers we will need any where to go to start the process?

Thanks!

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Residence permit for EU spouse?

Post by ALKB » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Noz03 wrote:Hey people. I am a British citizen, my wife is a Turkish citizen (married more than 1 year) and we both plan to live in Germany together. I know that the spouse of an EU citizen inherits my right of free movement in the EU but there is little information on how to apply for residency under this rule. I went to the Germany immigration office but they were less than useful.

Does anyone know the process for getting my wife the German residence card? What papers we will need any where to go to start the process?

Thanks!
Your wife needs a short term Schengen visa to enter Germany (or try your luck with your marriage certificate but honestly, I wouldn't).

Then register your residence in Germany and apply for her residence card at the local Ausländerbehörde:

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/324282/en/

Get your appointment as soon as possible, so that the appointment falls within 90 days of you arriving, as you do not need to show finances, a job or health insurance in the first 90 days.

Applications are usually painless (if you have all your documents), decided on the spot and the card arrives three weeks later.

BTW - what do you mean by German immigration office??

Noz03
European Union

Post by Noz03 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks so much for the reply, and the link is exactly what I was looking for

Actually the place I visited was the Ausländerbehörde, and the person told me I had to have something from a German embassy in the UK, although they don't know much about it.

Anyway, so for me to become a resident I just need to register my address at the Ausländerbehörde correct? I read a few things about having health insurance and being able to "independently provide for themselves", but what exactly does that even mean?

Then after my wife can apply in the same way? One other thing I wanted to ask, we married in Turkey so our marriage certificate is in Turkish. It doesn't say anywhere that it must be translated or must be from an EU country but will they accept our certificate as it is? I would definitely like to avoid official translating and notarizing as i know how expensive that can be.

Thanks again!

mgb

Post by mgb » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 am

You have to register your address/residence at the Einwohnermeldeamt. Sometimes also called Buergerbuero or Amt fuer oeffentliche Ordnung. Thats all you have to do as a EEA/EU citizen.
Your wife has to register too. Both receipts are needed for the Auslaenderbehoerde.
In the next step your wife has to register her presence in germany as a family member of a EEA/EU-citizen at the Auslaenderbehoerde. Your wife will get than a Aufenthaltskarte-EU (residence card) after 3 to 6 weeks.
If you need a translation of your marriage certificate you have to ask the Auslaenderbehoerde in your city. Some want it and some not.
A receipt for health insurance and such things are normaly not needed.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:35 pm

Noz03 wrote:Thanks so much for the reply, and the link is exactly what I was looking for

Actually the place I visited was the Ausländerbehörde, and the person told me I had to have something from a German embassy in the UK, although they don't know much about it.

Anyway, so for me to become a resident I just need to register my address at the Ausländerbehörde correct? I read a few things about having health insurance and being able to "independently provide for themselves", but what exactly does that even mean?

Then after my wife can apply in the same way? One other thing I wanted to ask, we married in Turkey so our marriage certificate is in Turkish. It doesn't say anywhere that it must be translated or must be from an EU country but will they accept our certificate as it is? I would definitely like to avoid official translating and notarizing as i know how expensive that can be.

Thanks again!
You have to register your residence with the local municipality, whether that is the Rathaus or the Meldeamt or something else depends on the town/city where you live. Registering is mandatory for everybody, even German nationals. (And un-registering when leaving the country permanently!)

Pay a few Euro to get an A4 Anmeldebescheinigung - this is your proof of address as you do not have a German ID card that shows your current residence and it is much more durable than the flimsy carbon copy you get for free when registering.

I'd get three Anmeldebescheinigungen - one for you only (as proof of address to carry with you), one for your wife only (to carry with her) and one with both your names on it for the residence card application.

You only have to show health insurance and finances after 90 days of arrival. And then they will indeed ask.

All documents that are not in German have to be translated into German by an official translator.