ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brit with Chinese Wife Entering Spain

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

erhebung
Newly Registered

Brit with Chinese Wife Entering Spain

Post by erhebung » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:43 am

Hello,

I have a British passport and I am currently working in China. I am married to a Chinese woman and have a young daughter with a Chinese birth certificate but no Chinese passport (yet) and no British passport (yet).

I am considering a job offer from Spain and I am wondering what the procedure would be for going to Spain with my wife and my daugher. Would it be possible for the three of us to travel to Spain together? What requirements are there for my wife to get an entry visa for Spain.

My wife has read some information saying that they will scrutinise her bank statements to check she has enough money to support herself. And I have read similar information. However, I have also read information which seems to say that as the wife of an "EU citizen", she could not be refused entry to Spain if she were either accompanying me or joining me.

So, could anyone point me to useful information? I have found a lot of information referring to people who are already in the EU travelling to other parts of the EU, but I haven't found much which provides clarity for my situation.

Essentially, the question is: how easy is it for the three of us to relocate? Becasuse if it is easy, I would feel comfortable accepting the offer of employment. But if it is going to be difficult, I may have to reconsider. I don't want to be stuck living apart from my family for long periods of time.

Thanks in advance.

Donutz

Re: Brit with Chinese Wife Entering Spain

Post by Donutz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:42 pm

In theory it shouldn't be that hard if you as the EU national are self sufficient (or better yet, have a job), as per Direcitve 2004/38/EC (freedom of movement). In practise I don't know how easy/difficult the Spaniards are.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm

ban.s

Re: Brit with Chinese Wife Entering Spain

Post by ban.s » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:06 am

Your wife needs to submit a copy of your British Passport, marriage certificate (translated/notarised/legalised...pls check exact requirements with embassy) and a copy of the ticket confirming you'd be travelling together.
A visa will be issued free of charge to your wife and no further documents are needed.
Once in Spain your wife will need to apply for a Residency Card for EU Citizen Family Members (Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de ciudadano de la Unión) within 3 months of arrival.

Assuming your daughther will travel on British passport.