ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from DLR to Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mrsheveran
Newly Registered

Switching from DLR to Spouse Visa

Post by mrsheveran » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi,

i will be due my first extension of DLR in April 2016. i would like to know whether i can apply/switch from DLR to Spouse visa. i was an over stayer before my DLR for 4 years which Home Office was held responsible and they realized it and issued me the DLR in October last year. i have been married for 5 years now and will be married for 6 and a half years at the time of my extension in 2016.

i would be grateful if someone could clarify this for me as i do not want to submit a whole lot of documents again when i did at the time of applying the DLR which was absolutely difficult for me and would like to get a 5 year spouse visa now rather than 2 and half years of DLR for the next 10 years which sounds a very long way to get ILR.

Thanks.

emmz13
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Switching from DLR to Spouse Visa

Post by emmz13 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:07 am

Hiya,
I posted a few days ago asking a similar thing, and still despite many hours of searching don't really know the answer. I don't know your financial situation but our plan is currently that if my husbands DLR is approved we are going to immediately apply for FLR (M) as neither of us can face the thought of applying every 30 months for ten years.
If in the mean time If I find out it's possible I'll let you know,
Take care

Obie
Ireland

Re: Switching from DLR to Spouse Visa

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:06 am

If you were given DLR, it must have been under the Old rules, it is more sensible and quicker for ILR purpose to stay on it, as you only have to be on for 6 years to Obtain ILR, rather that the 10 years your thought.

After 2016, you make another application, and them apply in 2019.

It makes not sense to switch now, as you will be granted a 30 months now, and you will have to apply for another in 2017 before qualifying in 2019.

So it makes perfect sense , for many more reason, which i have not got time to mention, to stick to DLR.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors