ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self Employed statement of Account

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Maxwell

Self Employed statement of Account

Post by Maxwell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Hello.

I am self-employed. For Naturalisation application they require "The most recent HMRC Self Assesement Statement of Account". I wonder, can I try and print it from the website or should I contact HMRC and ask them to send it to me by post? Is post only option or can I find it on the Internet myself and print it?

Thank you very much! :)

t123456789

Re: Self Employed statement of Account

Post by t123456789 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:21 pm

You need to submit an original document so you'll have to phone HMRC. If you haven't yet submitted a tax return then you don't need one, just write an explanation and your UTR.

If you're registered with the self assessment portal you can view and print a statement for each tax year but I doubt UKVI will accept it.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Thank you very much.

I ordered over the phone.

I also wanted to ask. Is it important that address on Self Employment Statement is the same as address I write in Form AN? It is just that we have holiday cottage nearby and we basically live there part-time too. So we get all our post in the same mailbox no matter what house name is there. The house name on HMRC was different from our main residence because our holiday cottage was our main residence just several months ago. I already changed it online but the system says it takes 2 days to update it. I phoned them and they sort of confirmed it would be sent to the corrected address. But in case they mistake and send me with old address, can I use it? Or HO may don't like it because my main home address house name is different from house name on the Self Employed Statement?

Sorry, maybe I slightly worry too much but it is serious thing for me. I lived here for 11 years legally to do it. And now try to check everything. And I don't want to loose any time and send it all in time. Thank you very much for your help and understanding! :)

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:52 pm

I don't think you have to worry about it. Now the HO can get your tax information directly from HMRC so I'm not sure why they still want a SA, I assume it's just a legacy from when there was no direct access for them. Also you have to list all your addresses in the AN form so one of those will match your SA address.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Yea, but I'm just not sure, is it not some kind of offence not to change address at HMRC in time?

Can they say I'm bad character or something because I did not update address in time?

Thanks for fast replies! :D

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Also, I wonder, how long does it usually take to arrive.

First time I phoned lady told me one week, but second time I phoned they told me it may take two weeks. I was hoping to apply in 12 days.

Do you remember how long it took to arrive?

Thank you!

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Maxwell wrote:Yea, but I'm just not sure, is it not some kind of offence not to change address at HMRC in time?

Can they say I'm bad character or something because I did not update address in time?

Thanks for fast replies! :D
No, HMRC don't seem to care too much. I registered about 9 months late as SE and they didn't mind. I didn't actually bother getting a SA, I just said I didn't have one and gave my UTR. Last time I ordered one was for my HSMP visa back in 2006 or something and I think it arrived in a week.

I don't think they actually get your whole tax record for HMRC (and some people aren't even registered). My guess is they get a yes/no answer to the question: Does this person with PAYE/UTR owe any tax?

theprideofpak

Post by theprideofpak » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:43 am

t123456789 wrote:I don't think you have to worry about it. Now the HO can get your tax information directly from HMRC so I'm not sure why they still want a SA, I assume it's just a legacy from when there was no direct access for them. Also you have to list all your addresses in the AN form so one of those will match your SA address.
The UKBA doesn't have direct access to HMRC on everything. They have limited access and if they need to make an enquiry they will still have to do the formal requests to make the information available. It is very very unlikely that the UKBA can look into people's self assessment tax returns just like that...