ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need some advice please

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Amzy
Newly Registered

Need some advice please

Post by Amzy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:23 pm

I have been going out with my boyfriend for 5 years and his student visa has expired and he has overstayed his visa and not gone back home. We are now ready to get married after finally telling my parents that i want to marry him, is it best to go back to pakistan and mary him there or is there any way i can get married to him here and apply for him as spouse visa. and also how long does it take to apply for a visa, would i have to wait for him for months? also can i get a letter from my local MP to make my case solid as i am in full time employment and have a property so can show i can support him. im thinking that its best for him to go back, as i hear they dont like queue jumpers.

ur response will be appreciated.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:32 pm

A letter from your MP isn't like getting a sick note from your parents for missing school. The MP can not sweep under the carpet that he broke the most sacred of rules by overstaying. He better get out of dodge as quickly as possible and he can apply for a fiance visa and then you can get married if he gets ec for the visa. If not then I guess you can always fly to pakistan, get married and apply for a spouse visa.
The processing times vary so I wouldn't get impatient, I'd be more concerned with him leaving immediately to avoid that he gets in a situation where he will not be allowed to return.
Don't bother trying to keep him here at this point, he has overstayed and drawing attention to it is just going to backfire

Amzy
Newly Registered

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:28 am

thanks for your reply, i think you right the best thing to do is for him to go back and for us to get married there.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:51 am

Unfortunately there is no way for your boyfriend to "regularise" his status in the UK without going back to his home country.

Probably the best course of action will be for the two of you to marry in Pakistan and then apply for a spouse visa for him from there. However, be aware that he will be required to explain his overstay in the UK when filling in the application form for the spouse visa, and while the fact that he overstayed will not necessarily mean that the visa will be denied, it inevitably will lead to the application taking longer than normal while they investigate his story.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.