ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residence received ...now next step?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

luise
Newly Registered

Permanent residence received ...now next step?

Post by luise » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:45 pm

hi everybody....
I am a EU citizenship and I applied for permanent residence card. arrived very quick , now my question is if my husband ( self-employed) can apply for permanent residence as well ? he is a EU citizen and we have been married since 2 and half years and he lives in UK for three years.

Another question is what's the next step to receive british citizenship?

Many thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Permanent residence received ...now next step?

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:10 pm

As an EU citizen, your husband will still need to wait and meet the 5 years requirement and continue exercising his treaty rights.

You can apply for British citinzenship one year after you have obtained permanent residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

luise
Newly Registered

Post by luise » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:14 pm

thank you very much.

luise
Newly Registered

Post by luise » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:22 pm

another question....hope i am not very annoying...
next year I will apply for naturalisation and i will become a british citizen, can my husband apply for naturalization before applying for permanent residence - being married with a british citizen - ME.

many , many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:44 pm

he would need to obtain permanent residence (automatically or through applying for confirmation) to apply for Citizenship.

however if he attains PR and you are already British, he might not have to wait 12 months on PR before he can apply and can apply on the basis of spouse of British Citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

luise
Newly Registered

Post by luise » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:53 pm

how can he apply for residence automatically?
If I have permanent residence can he apply after me ? Or, I suppose he had to wait exactly five years to get permanent residence.
After that, me being a british citizen can apply for citizenship.

I wonder, he has to wait those five years or he can get permanent residence earlier because I have it.

many , many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 pm

If he is an EU citizen exercising treaty rights, this has to be the case for 5 years, after which he would automatically attain PR but can apply to the HO for confirmation of PR status (£55). There is no shortcut or quicker route unfortunately.
Char (CR001 not Casa)