ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renunciation for dual citizens works

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Prospect
Newly Registered
Ireland

Renunciation for dual citizens works

Post by Prospect » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:14 am

I am non eu while wife's dual irish/British. We were earlier refused an eea2 and had to send in a new application eea2 and wife's renunciation of British citizenship rn1 on the same day 3rd August 2014.
application received on the 4th
payments taken 8th August
coa received 23rd no right to work then we asked for wife's irish passport to be sent back as they will have to retain the British one.
passport was received the next day after a lady from the nationality department called to take payment for the return post.
Registered renunciation received 8th October
original passport of wife with stamped renunciation form sent to caseworker the next day with a covering letter. I had to call home office to confirm if they had received the new evidence for consideration only for the guy at the other end to tell me a decision had already been made and I should be getting my documents before the end of the week. I couldn't sleep for the next 2 days till when the postman knocked to deliver them.
residence card issued on 20th October. And received on the 24th. So in all it took about 2 and half months.

el patron
Member of Standing

Re: Renunciation for dual citizens works

Post by el patron » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:48 pm

Very interesting approach! Glad that worked out and indeed it was speedy. it often takes over 3 months for renunciation alone. I have not heard before of anyone making the EEA2 application at the same time as the RN1, did you set out the position in a cover letter for the EEA2? as I believe it is different offices of the Home Office in Liverpool that deal with the two applications.

Prospect
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Prospect » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Thats true, the Nationality team processes the RN1 renunciation while the EEA2 is processed by the European Team. I reckon it might be that because we had not succeeded in our earlier application and appeal a reference was made to link the applications. my wife earns more than the required 18,600pa under the UK rules and also had the option of renouncing which we did. but in order not to make my stay here precarious, we had to take that approach by getting in a new EEA2 application whilst the renunciation was being processed. hence why i was not given the right to work in the COA, as my wife was not seen as an EEA national as defined by the regulations. but as soon as the renunciation came through we forwarded that with a copy of a FOI correspondence found online https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-513187

so I think this must have helped to guide the caseworker.

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Good old Mr Kelly, his FOI responses are priceless!

Prospect
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Prospect » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:57 pm

el patron wrote:Good old Mr Kelly, his FOI responses are priceless!
Is he a solicitor?and if so where is he based? I always go to see what's new with him on the website. It's good when people ask the right questions and make the response available for the benefit of all. I would have taken this same option a year ago when the first application was refused if the information was available to me instead of wasting a whole year appealing.

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Prospect wrote:
Is he a solicitor?and if so where is he based? I always go to see what's new with him on the website. It's good when people ask the right questions and make the response available for the benefit of all. I would have taken this same option a year ago when the first application was refused if the information was available to me instead of wasting a whole year appealing.
I do believe it may be an alias, bit of a Clark Kent character no doubt!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:31 pm

el patron wrote:
Prospect wrote:
I do believe it may be an alias, bit of a Clark Kent character no doubt!
He's a great guy. Not a solicitor at all but he is keen to understand the law. He's also tall and handsome.

Prospect
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Prospect » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:36 pm

@chaoclive
Now that's an insight lol... :P :D

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Prospect wrote:@chaoclive
Now that's an insight lol... :P :D
Haha. :)
He's also an ex-British citizen who is keen to help others.