ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rent with cats

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mellowd
Newly Registered

Rent with cats

Post by mellowd » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:07 am

Hi all.

My wife and I are planning to move to Ireland as I've accepted a job offer in Dublin. We have been checking out the local rent sites (rent.ie, daft.ie) to find a place to live.

Most places seem to be furnished and also most seem to be no pets. Is this prevalent in Ireland? I've never had any issues with rent and my two cats here in the UK. Also I have quite a bit of my own furniture so trying to find some partly furnished place, but it seems impossible.

As for where I'll live. I don't mind a commute of up to 30 minutes each way into Dublin so I don't have to stay in the city itself.

Anyone else with a similar experience or at least more experience of the rental market there?

Ambulance Chaser
Newly Registered

Re: Rent with cats

Post by Ambulance Chaser » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:49 am

Most landlords do not want animals on the property - particularly if you are renting an apartment.

Do what most people do - don't tell the landlord!

neuron

Post by neuron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:34 am

Yep, that's what my colleagues in Ireland told me - just bring my cat, and don't mention her in advance! btw, how much property damage can a cat do? (Unless she's of the we-need-Jacskon-Galaxy variaety.) Especially since you're bringing your own furniture.

mellowd
Newly Registered

Post by mellowd » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:49 am

That's seems to be the general consensus. MY big concern is what can the landlord do if they find out? I'm not sure the laws in Ireland. Both of my cats are fully house trained and well behaved. I'm more than happy to pay for any damage they might do if that happens.

neuron

Post by neuron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:16 am

If I did my research correctly, a landlord can generally kick you out only in very special cicumstances, such as extreme antisocial behaviour, etc. Plus, if you're there for a year (on a lease), I don't think he can even decide not to extend your lease after that "just because". And if there's any damage - well that's what the deposit's for, right?

mellowd
Newly Registered

Post by mellowd » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:19 am

Yeah I'm hoping that will be the case. In fact the flat I'm living in the UK has that same clause... My previous place had no issues whatsoever.

At the current place my landlord had to come check something on the gas so I took the cats for a little drive and we removed all traces of cat toys. In the UK landlords need to give 24 hour notice to visit the property. Is there a similar law in Ireland?

neuron

Post by neuron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:17 pm

I'm pretty sure that in Ireland they need to give you 7 days notice, unless it's a real emergency (leaking gas, pipes, that sort of thing).

Ambulance Chaser
Newly Registered

Post by Ambulance Chaser » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:39 pm

There is no "law" about the level of notice that must be given by landlords to tenants in Ireland.

It all depends on what is contained on the lease. Unless it is specified on the lease, the notice must be "reasonable".However, most leases will provide for a notice period but all landlords can call to the property to gain entry without any notice in the case of an emergency. In most cases, tenants want the landlord to call in the case of something urgent.

neuron

Post by neuron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:54 pm

What happens if the landlord finds out you have a cat, but haven't asked him for permission?

Ambulance Chaser
Newly Registered

Post by Ambulance Chaser » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:22 pm

neuron wrote:What happens if the landlord finds out you have a cat, but haven't asked him for permission?
It depends:-

(a) If the lease specifically prohibits having animals on the property, then the tenant is in breach of the lease and the landlord can serve a "Notice to Quit" which gives a month's notice to the tenant to get out.

(b) If the lease is silent on the issue of pets, then the tenant has a good case to resist a Notice to Quit and would probably have a good defence in court.

The reality is that most leases are for a 12 month period in Ireland. Court applications and solicitors' fees cost a lot of money and usually both sides come to some arrangement as it may take several months to get a hearing date in court which defeats the purpose if it's a 12 month lease!