ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship passed on from parents/perm residence/spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Citizenship passed on from parents/perm residence/spouse

Post by MicaelP » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:13 pm

Hello, I am a US citizen born to a British father and American mother.

I was born in the US but have lived in the UK and had ILR in the UK for 30 years.
I am married to a British Citizen.

Due to increased pressure from border control each time I come home I want to pursue British Citizenship, however I'm shocked at the ~£1k cost to do so. I have read differing rules regarding citizenship by decent and the current rule stating that the mother being a british citizen gives me citizenship, but previously this was passed from the father. If there is no other way than pay £1k then I will probably look to getting an ILR certificate as they do not stamp passports with ILR any more.

Hope someone can shed some light.
Thanks

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship passed on from parents/perm residence/spouse

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:17 pm

As your father is British, you might be able to claim British citizenship by descent. In order for us to assist you further, we would need further information.

a) Can you advise us of your year of birth?
b) Were your parents married at the time of your birth?
c) At what age did you move to the UK?

In my journey through a work visa and eventually citizenship, I have paid upwards of 12k to the Home Office in fees. And that is for a single applicant, after doing all the paperwork myself; i.e. without going through a solicitor. I faintly recall reading somewhere that the Home Office is one of the few departments of state that makes money (apart from HM Treasury, that is).

As for the ILR certificate, are you referring to a Biometric Residency Permit (BRP) card? I'm not aware of an ILR certificate.

Once you are a citizen (either by descent or through naturalisation), you can ask for a Certificate of Entitlement for Right of Abode in the UK to be stamped into your US passport, rather than applying for a UK passport.
Last edited by secret.simon on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks Simon

Year of birth 1977, parents were married and I moved to the UK aged 7. I have a letter from the home office granting ILR/advisement of border control to stamp my passport.

In comparison to staying as I am, getting grief from boarder control and continuing to renew my US passport, or even getting one of the new ILR certificates (£144) is considerably cheaper!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:31 pm

MicaelP wrote:Due to increased pressure from border control each time I come home
Such as? What are you referring to? If you are domiciled in the UK there should be no problem; if you are domiciled in the USA but make a cursory short visit to the UK simply to retain your ILR, then, yes, I can see you being questioned, but even so, you can't be refused unless you overstep the 2 year absence threshold. There is no need to naturalized over a few short (and necessary) questions on arrival!

I'm also baffled as to why you have ILR rather than being a British citizen by descent; was your father born outside the UK?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:32 pm

I am no expert and would defer to others on this forum far more informed that I, but I would say that given the circumstances, you likely are British by descent, provided you can prove that your father is British. It would help if he was born within the UK himself.

Have a look at Page 2 of the Guide for Form NS (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... update.pdf). You can look at submitting that form for the Home Office to rule on whether you are British by descent or not.

I would wait for further responses on this forum before taking any course of action.

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:40 pm

I have always had ILR stamp transferred to my new US passport until my last one a couple of years ago. When coming back to the UK on my latest passport I was told I could no longer have ILR stamped by border control and I would either have to send my passport away or always carry my old passport as proof.

Whenever I re-enter the UK from visiting family in the US or even European holidays I am always questioned as to why I don't have a British passport despite living in the country so long and what gives me the right to live in this country. The prompt to get something sorted is from my last recent trip out of the country where I entered passport/border control in Dublin en route back home to the UK. The agent there was very unhappy with letting me through as my previous passport is damaged although the photo matches (clearly it's me) and the ILR stamp is clearly visible. The replacement passport was due to the damage but has since expired anyway.

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:42 pm

And yes, sorry my father was born in the UK. I am awaiting a certified birth certificate (he lives back in the US now).
My home is the UK and has been since 1985.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Your paperwork is not legible. That's why they challenge you rather than for only having ILR. Most US citizens living in the UK do not naturalize so it's not an issue to stay with ILR rather than apply for naturalization. In any case, you are already British by descent and have been living under misinformation for most of your life.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:52 pm

I would say that it is fairly certain that you are British by descent and should be able to apply directly for a UK passport on the basis of your father's birth certificate and your birth certificate.

It does mean that your children are not British, unless they were born within the UK or have claim under another pathway to citizenship.

On a point of interest, what is the basis of your ILR?

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:03 pm

Lucapooka wrote:In any case, you are already British by descent and have been living under misinformation for most of your life.
I totally agree Lucapooka!

The people who I have asked for advice who should really know have not helped at all, most recently nationality enquiries email and the nationality checker webpage gov.uk have had made (says I am not british by descent as my mother isn't british).
Last edited by MicaelP on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi Simon

ILR was granted by the home office and my circumstances are shown on the letter as "accompanying parents" - not sure what my mother's letter said and I can't ask her as she's no longer with us.

My father didn't need one as he is a British Citizen.

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks Lucapooka and secret.simon for your advice, will investigate the above once I get a copy of my fathers BC.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:51 am

Lucapooka wrote:In any case, you are already British by descent and have been living under misinformation for most of your life.
Agree.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks Vinny, this would apply to me I would imagine, as I didn't "settle" in the UK until 1985.

2.2.3.2 The first addition is set out in s.11(3). This provides that anyone registered
under s.12(6) of the British Nationality Act 1948 on the grounds of descent in the
male line from a person born or naturalised in the United Kingdom became a British
citizen on 1 January 1983 whether or not he or she had the right of abode
immediately before that date.

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:09 am

But on this flowchart, I fail at the 1st hurdle!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... nexe_E.pdf

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:12 am

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:13 am

I don't think that 11(3) is applicable, as you are not British by registration. You were automatically a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by descent because your father was born in the UK and a citizen by birth. Therefore, 11(1) is applicable. Therefore, you are automatically a British citizen by descent now. The flowcharts should agree.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MicaelP
Newly Registered

Post by MicaelP » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks to all of you for your replies and helpful information - it prompted me to finally bite the bullet and I knew I had no travel plans for a while so could do without my US passport. I applied mid February and was amazed to get my UK passport and official "British Citizen" status in 11 days (including weekends), much quicker than the 6 weeks quoted for first time applicants.

I have since used it on a European trip and was even invited to do the biometric check on my return to the UK.

Thanks again to all who replied :D