ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help clarify my situation please.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jamesjames

Help clarify my situation please.

Post by jamesjames » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:13 pm

Could someone here help me clarify my situation?
I am a non EU national married to an EU national who already has her naturalisation and has just applied for her British Passport and is waiting to receive it. Our continous 5 years together was on 30th June this year [2014], before she applied for her British Passport.
My question is this: Am I eligible to apply for my own naturalisation now or do I have to wait for the 12 months after the continous 5 years, considering that the 5 years was complete before she became a british citizen? I am asking this because she was still an EU national by the time I completed my 5 year rule.
Your help will be much appreciated.

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: Help clarify my situation please.

Post by milan69 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:44 pm

If you have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years, are married to BC and hold ILR then you can apply.
I am sometimes wrong.

jamesjames

Post by jamesjames » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:09 pm

milan69 wrote:If you have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years, are married to BC and hold ILR then you can apply.

Thanks Milan for taking time to respond to my query.
Does it matter that our continuous 5 years was over [meaning I was no longer under the EU rules by the time she became a BC]? I didn't apply for RP as I understand that is not necessary.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:16 am

Q5: I'm a EEA national/family member of EEA national. When can I apply for naturalisation?

Under EEA regulations, Permanent Residence status is obtained automatically after 5 years of exercising treaty rights. You need to hold PR status for 1 year to be eligible for naturalisation (unless you are married to a BC) so effectively you can apply after 6 years of residence in the UK. Having a PR Confirmation (following EEA3/EEA4 application) is optional and is not required in order to apply for naturalisation.

You have two options:

1. Apply after 6 years in the UK. This includes 5 years of exercising treaty rights + 1 year with PR. You will need to provide proof of the 5 years (similar to what is needed in EEA3/EEA4 application). Form AN has a specific section (Q2.4-2.6) for such application.
2. Apply 1 year after the issue date of the PR Confirmation (EEA3/EEA4). In this case, there is no need to prove treaty rights again and normally just your passport (and Life in the UK test) is required.

If you hold a PR Confirmation for less than 1 year but have lived in the UK for 6 years, you can apply using option (1). The PR confirmation can only be used if you apply 1 year after the issue date. The reason is that the PR Confirmation only contains one date - issue date. It doesn't state when the PR status was actually acquired. If you want to use a PR date prior to the issue date, you will need to provide treaty rights proof to prove it
I am sometimes wrong.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:27 am

In Q1, after "granted ILR", add " or attained PR".
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.