ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Warning: travelling to the US with new passport

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Warning: travelling to the US with new passport

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:18 pm

A word of warning for those travelling to the US under the Visa Waiver Program with a new passport: you can expect to be taken to secondary inspection and be questioned at length about your identity and background. They told me they had to do this due to problems they have had with biometric passports. The process was not unfriendly but it took a long time and I almost missed my connecting flight.

steveyb
Newly Registered

Post by steveyb » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:22 pm

would that apply to someone travelling to US on a new irish passport instead of their usualy UK passport?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:49 pm

steveyb wrote:would that apply to someone travelling to US on a new irish passport instead of their usualy UK passport?
It probably would. I saw several Germans, an Italian and a Spaniard in the waiting room as well (plus some who sounded as if they were from Scandinavia), so it's not just people with British passports. How old is your passport? I don't know when they stop considering it "new". Mine was about 7-8 weeks old.

rhianna
Newly Registered

Post by rhianna » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Marco is quite right about this, had this same sort of questioning at JFK on the 24th July, my british passport was issued in Feb 2007.

Eternal_Howl
Newly Registered

Post by Eternal_Howl » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:23 am

I travelled to the US in April on my new New Zealand biometric passport and had no hassles. It took the expected 2 hours to get through the line at customs but that's about it. Took my thumb print at the check through and that's all.