ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply for naturalisation after ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

f4life
Newly Registered

When to apply for naturalisation after ILR

Post by f4life » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:41 am

My wife was granted 2 years and 3 months spouse visa married to a British citizen. I have submitted her application for ILR recently, I hope it will be a successful one. Now I am wondering and my friends are telling me that as soon as your wife gets ILR apply for naturalisation straight away!... I then told him that I have to wait for at least 12 months in order to apply for naturalisation, he said no you don't have to wait for 12 month he confirmed it with his solicitor..please shed some light to this new topic. I'm a bit confused.

More information
spouse visa
valid from 16/9/2012
valid until 16/12/2014

My wife arrived in the UK on 24/10/2012 one month after she was granted spouse visa.

Thank you

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: When to apply for naturalisation after ILR

Post by fwd079 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:21 am

f4life wrote: My wife arrived in the UK on 24/10/2012 one month after she was granted spouse visa.
Seniors can tell you better, but this above line is important in my view. Since she is wife of a British so she has to be legally living in UK for past three years, and physically present 3 years before the date of application, she also have to have ILR which you have applied.
In your case it would not before 24/10/2015 that she'd be eligible.

More information, please click here where seniors have compiled nice information.

Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

vinny

Re: When to apply for naturalisation after ILR

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:23 am

Your wife should spend at least 3 years in the UK. Her absences should be within the limits. On the day of the application for citizenship, she must have ILR.

So, she may apply from 24/10/2015, provided all the requirements for section 6(2) are met.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.