ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent - Medical Equipment Technician

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mansourr61
Newly Registered

Urgent - Medical Equipment Technician

Post by mansourr61 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi,
Sorry for the long email but this is very important and urgent for me.

I have got a job with NHS titled "Medical Equipment Technician" with the main duties as the job description as follows:
"The Medical Electronics Technician is responsible for undertaking repairs, performance verification, acceptance testing, planed preventative maintenance and electrical safety testing on a wide variety of medical devices."

To obtain a CoS, for the correct job title the HR has contacted the Office of National Statistics and they advised the following job title:
3218 Medical and dental technicians

There are two problems with this job title. First it is NQF 4 and not acceptable for Tier 2 application and also its job description in Codes of Practice does not match my job description at all.

There are two job titles (2124 Electronics Engineer and 2123 Equipment Engineer) that match my job description and are in NQF 6 level. But they are about general electronic equipments not medical.

Has anybody here applied for the same job title as medical engineer? if so, what job title and code you have used?

Any suggestion for correct job title from the codes of practice for medical engineers?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Mansour
Last edited by mansourr61 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Urgent - Medical Equipment Technician

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:15 am

There is general rule of thumb in the NHS - if the job band is 5 and above the role will qualify as NQF6 and above.
Other NHS trusts have advertised the role as band 5 - currently Truro NHS have a role as you describe at Band 5 and they have said they will consider tier 2 people.

Apart from the two SOC alreadt quoted perhaps 2129 is worth a look.

mansourr61
Newly Registered

Post by mansourr61 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 am

Frontier,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, the role is Band 5. Do you mean band 5 roles for NHS will be considered as NQF 6 even if in the codes of practice it is in a lower level?

And thanks for the other code, i will look at it as well.

saliame
Pakistan

Post by saliame » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:There is general rule of thumb in the NHS - if the job band is 5 and above the role will qualify as NQF6 and above.
Dear Frontier, Are we allowed to negotiate on the code? or just explaining them may help, so all the jobs on Band 5 and above qualify
NQF Level 6? Is just a practice or a proper rule?

Sorry, if I am being dopey. I was thinking same, as I am also working on Band 5.

Your valuable comment will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 pm

The questions posed-
Can you negotiate the SOC - no. Your Sponsor decides what the appropriate code is. Can you work with your Sponsor to set the SOC - of course. But if the Sponsor does not agree it is their decision that you are left with.
Does Band 5 overide the SOC requirement - No.
It is indicative that the role is more than likely to meet NQF6.