ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Denied entry to Ireland - Do I need UK entry clearance?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:
United Kingdom

Denied entry to Ireland - Do I need UK entry clearance?

Post by slugmeister » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Hello,

The *I* in the subject refers to a friend of mine. Let's call her Linda.

I'm a British Citizen but I travel on my American passport. (I'm in the process of applying for my UK passport) I'm currently living in the USA.

Linda is Mexican. Linda and I took a trip to Ireland. She flew from Mexico via Munich. I flew from JFK. We were only due to stay in Ireland / UK for 5 days total. The plan was to stay in Ireland for 2 days then go to the UK for 3 days. Then both of us were flying back to Mexico City together via Amsterdam.

Linda was detained at Dublin airport and deported to Munich. Irish Immigration called UK immigration said that that UK immigration weren't happy for her to come across the shared border- and that if she wanted to come to the UK, she would have to fly / apply directly. That sucked, but fair enough.

Now Linda wants to come to the UK to visit me when I travel there in January. Does she need UK entry clearance? Irish immigration stamped her passport and hand written in a number. Will this affect her getting into the UK? Should we apply for a visitor visa in advance?

Any advice?
Talley and Barrow, LTD
Advising in Immigration Law
http://www.talleyandbarro.co.uk

ban.s

Re: Denied entry to Ireland - Do I need UK entry clearance?

Post by ban.s » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:42 pm

why wasn't she allowed entry?

sagareva
BANNED

Post by sagareva » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:06 am

we need to know more about what exactly happened, why was she denied entry and what is her previous visa history with eitehr of the two countries

it is not strictly normal for them to be ringing the brits and asking questions about each non-visa national visitor who may or may not cross over the border for a couple of days. sounds a bit strange, and for uk to dispense entry refusal by phone even stranger.
**Please note, you can no longer contact me by PM because owners of this board accused me of using it to recruit clients, and disabled my ability to read and send PMs.**

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:30 am

That is quite extraordinary .

The last time I read, Ireland is a sovereign country as far as the 26 counties that make up the island of Ireland are concerned. Why will they need permission from the UK to admit someone.

Never had of this.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:31 am

It's probably due to the Co-operational measures Agreement.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:52 pm

vinny wrote:It's probably due to the Co-operational measures Agreement.

Notwithstanding the above, the action of the immigration officer is too harsh.

That memorandum does not seem like a binding agreement or treaty, on the basis of which people who have been refused entry in one area, should automatically be refused entry into another.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Could argue the CTA is one area and precedes Schengen and the EU itself.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....