ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Interview

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ravi2001
Newly Registered

Passport Interview

Post by ravi2001 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Friends,
I will be applying for British passport in near future. I have few queries. I live an extended part of a flat with my own entrance and attached toilet and shower but no Spam. My part of accommodation and main part of the flat have separate entrance. I think my landlord adapted this part of the flat for tenant. I pay my rent to my landlord. I do not know how my landlord pay council tax on this part of the accommodation. My landlord family member lives in the main part of flat. I do not have access to main part of the flat so I do not know anything about that part of the flat. So my question is that what should I say if the interviewer ask about my accommodation? I am planning to move with my friend? Shall I move in first before applying for the passport? Or shall I apply for passport and while in process move to new place? But if I do that then there will be discrepancy what I filled in my application and what I would be saying in my interview. If I change my address before applying will this create any doubt in the mind of interviewer that why did I change my place of living suddenly? Please advice...

slough_Boy

Re: Passport Interview

Post by slough_Boy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:56 am

ravi2001 wrote:Hi Friends,
I will be applying for British passport in near future. I have few queries. I live an extended part of a flat with my own entrance and attached toilet and shower but no Spam. My part of accommodation and main part of the flat have separate entrance. I think my landlord adapted this part of the flat for tenant. I pay my rent to my landlord. I do not know how my landlord pay council tax on this part of the accommodation. My landlord family member lives in the main part of flat. I do not have access to main part of the flat so I do not know anything about that part of the flat. So my question is that what should I say if the interviewer ask about my accommodation? I am planning to move with my friend? Shall I move in first before applying for the passport? Or shall I apply for passport and while in process move to new place? But if I do that then there will be discrepancy what I filled in my application and what I would be saying in my interview. If I change my address before applying will this create any doubt in the mind of interviewer that why did I change my place of living suddenly? Please advice...
I do not know why you so much worry about accommodation.
There is not requirement of accommodation for Passport,
if you worry about council tax, then think. this country is full of foreigners, all paying council tax....? no
people living in sharing accommodation, just pay rent.
yes, if you living in private accommodation and you are the person who is responsible for council tax and you do not pay then it is a legal proceeding unless exempted.
I know they ask about previous address some time, but never heard about council tax , if they ask about council tax, u can say u r not paying because u are in sharing accommodation and my landlord is responsible for that.

ravi2001
Newly Registered

Post by ravi2001 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Dear Friend
Thanks for your reply. I pay the part of council tax to my landlord. The problem is that I live in attached part of the property. I do not think that my landlord mentioned to council that he has annexed part in his property as I could result separate council tax. My landlord `s relative live in main part of the property. All bills come in his name. But I do not know about this person who is living there as I have my own entrance and attached shower and toilet. I work long hours so never saw this person. If they ask anything about that who else is living in that property I won`t be able to give any information. I do not know how many other bedrooms in this property. As I will write my address such as Flat 2...but I do no know about other details such as lay out of other part. Shall I say to them that I live in annexed part of this flat? Shall I say them I do not who else is living in other part of the property(as It is my business who else live there)?
As I will be starting a new job in the same town. One of my friend`s place is going to be vacant which is near to my new job. I was thinking to move in with him and then apply. It will take around 10 days to move in with him. Will It create any doubt that why I suddenly change my address(some one told me that it might create doubt)? I just want to have information. I am not worrying as I do not have to worry about anything.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:00 pm

The whole purpose of passport interview is for them to establish that it is you who is applying for passport therefore most questions asked will be related to your passport and naturalization application.
I am sometimes wrong.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:13 pm

You might get asked to describe the place you live in. Their focus would be on how you answer the question rather than what your answer is. Just tell them the truth. Council tax has nothing to do with passport application.

It should be fine as long you can get your mail delivered to your door rather than the main flat.

ravi2001
Newly Registered

Post by ravi2001 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:25 am

Hi Friends,
Thanks for reply.I will be starting a new job in the same town. One of my friend`s place is going to be vacant which is near to my new job. I was thinking to move in with him and then apply. It will take around 10 days to move in with him. I will inform the electoral office about my address change but it takes time to appear on electoral register once you move to new place.Will it be ok to change the address now before applying? once again thanks guys for giving me your time.

ravi2001
Newly Registered

Post by ravi2001 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:06 pm

ravi2001 wrote:Hi Friends,
Thanks for reply.I will be starting a new job in the same town. One of my friend`s place is going to be vacant which is near to my new job. I was thinking to move in with him and then apply. It will take around 10 days to move in with him. I will inform the electoral office about my address change but it takes time to appear on electoral register once you move to new place.Will it be ok to change the address now before applying? once again thanks guys for giving me your time.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:09 am

You have to become British citizen first before registering to vote.
I am sometimes wrong.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:30 pm

milan69 wrote:You have to become British citizen first before registering to vote.
Nationals from common wealth countries can vote without British citizenship.

ravi2001
Newly Registered

Post by ravi2001 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:15 pm

Dear Friends,
Thanks for reply. My query was that would it be ok to move to new address before applying for passport. About electoral roll I did mention about that it would take time to reappear on electoral if some changes his or her address and people at passport office checks electoral to cross check the address and who else is living there. Please reply asap..

Thanks

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:31 pm

by akhurshid » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:30 pm

milan69 wrote:

Are you saying that Indian, Australian and Canadian citizens that are not British nationals can vote in British elections?
I am sometimes wrong.

excited

Post by excited » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Yup! I am South African and I can vote. I registered when I first came here in 2008.
milan69 wrote:
by akhurshid » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:30 pm

milan69 wrote:

Are you saying that Indian, Australian and Canadian citizens that are not British nationals can vote in British elections?

secret.simon

Right of Commonwealth citizens to participate in public life

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:58 am

Citizens of Commonwealth countries (section 4.6 of the Representation of the People Act 1983 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/2) resident in the United Kingdom on a visa that is not a visitor visa and that allows for limited leave to remain for more than six months can vote in parliamentary (section 1.1) & local government elections (section 2.1).

That leads to a slightly quirky situation in that American and Chinese citizens cannot vote, but Indians and Nigerians can vote in an election here, even though they are all here on work or student visas.

Also, Cypriot and Maltese citizens can move to the UK as EU citizens and vote in UK elections as Commonwealth citizens!!!

Commonwealth citizenship is defined in Section 37 of the British Nationality Act 1981 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/contents) and Schedule 3 of the same Act lists the countries whose citizens are Commonwealth citizens.

A Commonwealth citizen can not only vote, but also, if the person has ILR or right of abode under the Immigration Act 1971, become an MP (Section 18 of the Electoral Administration Act 2006 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/22/contents) or a member of the House of Lords. I am aware of at least one member of the House of Lords who does not have British citizenship, but who, as a Commonwealth citizen, sits there (Lords Hansard, 10 Dec 2009 : Column 1167 http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 0-0004.htm)

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:13 pm

akhurshid wrote:
milan69 wrote:You have to become British citizen first before registering to vote.
As others have replied to that already, short answer is yes.
I registered for vote in 2006 and had been voting.

ravi2001
Newly Registered

Post by ravi2001 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Dear Friends,
Thanks for replying. But dear friends my query was not about voting right. Could you please read my query carefully.
(Dear Friends,
Thanks for reply. My query was that would it be ok to move to new address before applying for passport. About electoral roll I did mention about that it would take time to reappear on electoral if some changes his or her address and people at passport office checks electoral to cross check the address and who else is living there. Please reply asap..)

Please have a one more good look.

Thanks

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:12 pm

You are just complicating things for yourself. Getting passport is much simpler than naturalisation.
Just decide what you want to do and go with it. Explain if asked and you'll be fine.

ravi2001
Newly Registered

Post by ravi2001 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Dear Friends,
I am a Naturalised British Citizen for more than two months. For some personal reason I could not apply for my passport till now. But I will be applying for my British Passport. I am moving in with my friend. My this friend was my "Professional Referee" in my application for Naturalisation. Can I ask my this friend to be my "Professional Referee" in my passport application though I would be living with him? Would that ok to do so? Or Shall I ask someone else to be my "professional Referee"? Three weeks ago In have changed my job as well.

Thanks,

Ravi

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Assuming he is a friend and not a significant other/unmarried partner, he can sign your passport form.

ravi2001
Newly Registered

Post by ravi2001 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:33 pm

Dear Friends,
I am a Naturalised British Citizen for more than two months. For some personal reason I could not apply for my passport till now. But I will be applying for my British Passport. I am moving in with my friend. My this friend was my "Professional Referee" in my application for Naturalisation. Can I ask my this friend to be my "Professional Referee" in my passport application though I would be living with him? Would that ok to do so? Or Shall I ask someone else to be my "professional Referee"? Three weeks ago In have changed my job as well.

Thanks,

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:15 pm

ravi2001 wrote:Dear Friends,

Thanks,

If your friend is not in sexual relationship with you, then he can be your referee, place of living doesn't matter as far as I know.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.