ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I cannot find a way for my American girlfriend to England!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AmpdVodka
Newly Registered

I cannot find a way for my American girlfriend to England!

Post by AmpdVodka » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Me (age 21) and my girlfriend (age 18) have been together over the internet for awhile now. I live in England and she lives in America. We have met on a number of occasions just on holiday visas for short periods of time and we want to be together permanently. Unfortunately, she doesn't work or study due to personal reasons. However, I have a really good job and could easily support us both, so money for living isn't an issue.

The issue is although I don't care what country I'm in (would actually prefer to live in America with her), at this time it's logical for us to live in England due to my career. She is perfectly happy with this. So our plan is to live here in England.

No matter how much research we both do, or who we ask for advice the only answers we get are; Holiday visas, which are an issue as they are for short periods of time. Work visas, which as far as we can tell must be for a career or specialized trade job and you need an employer sponsor (huge issue for my girlfriend as due to personal reasons she has never worked and had to drop out of school so has no qualifications). Student visa, same as work no qualifications so can't enter a course or be sponsored for one. Fiance/Marriage visas, which are beyond confusing to find information on but I have gathered that we need to live together for 2 years in order to apply for such a thing, which makes no sense as not being able to live together is the problem.

The information we have researched seems repetitive and basically tells us their isn't a way. Mostly doesn't make much sense. It's all very frustrating and confusing!

We know their must be a way as her Dad moved to America with her Mum and married in the 70's, they had no extra education or specialized jobs or trades. However, their information is outdated and, as you can probably imagine, we are still getting them on board with the idea of my girlfriend moving here with me.
If anybody has any ideas on how we could solve this problem, or provide us with a comprehensive explanation on the visas and qualifying criteria available, or direct us to a website with the same. It would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

ban.s

Re: I cannot find a way for my American girlfriend to Englan

Post by ban.s » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:13 pm

if you are considering marriage as an option, then apply for marriage visitor visa and then after marriage change to family of a settled person

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:32 am

The advice below is predicated on the presumption that you are a British citizen. The procedure for an EU/EEA citizen resident in the UK would be a lot simpler under EU Regulations.

How long have you been in this relationship? If it has been more than two years and you can prove it (online chat logs, phone calls logs, travel together tickets, etc), you may be able to explore getting her here as an unmarried partner.

Mind you, this is a trickier path than a marriage visa, but just though I would make you aware.

Of course, in extremis, you could look at the Surinder Singh route, though that may have ramifications on your job.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:01 am

You've been given incorrect information regarding an Unmarried Partner application. 'Being in a relationship' isn't sufficient, you need to prove you have been living together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for at least 2 years.
However, you can apply for a fiance visa and after the wedding switch to a spouse visa from within the UK on form FLR(M). This is assuming you are earning a minimum of £18,600 per annum and have adequate accommodation.
The link ban.s has given you for a Marriage Visitor Visa is incorrect. This is for someone who intends to return to leave the UK after then wedding. If you intend you girlfriend to settle in the UK after you marry this is the link (and the visa fee is considerably higher)
https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sagareva
BANNED

Post by sagareva » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:59 am

OK folks, let's calm down and first determine what is actually topic starter's citizenship and their status in the UK, before we go any further.
because topic starter did not mention that.
and btw where exactly did they get the brilliant advice from "everyone" to keep using holiday visas.))
**Please note, you can no longer contact me by PM because owners of this board accused me of using it to recruit clients, and disabled my ability to read and send PMs.**