ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse renewing passport while abroad - re-entry stamp issue

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Irishman30
Newly Registered

Spouse renewing passport while abroad - re-entry stamp issue

Post by Irishman30 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:58 am

I am currently on holidays with my peruvian wife in Peru. She has stamp 4 ( married to an Irish national). She renewed her stamp in July 2014. It expires in July 2015. At this point she'll be given a 3 year stamp when she renews. However her passport expires in July 2016. So in accordance with the regulations, she'll only get in effect 1 year. (Naturally she has the re-entry visa as well).

So we were thinking of renewing her passport here while we are in Peru. However I am concerned that if we renew her passport while abroad, the Peruvian authorities while canceling her current passport and issue her an new one; may cause an issue for immigration authorities in Ireland. The old passport will have the stamps and re-entry visa but with a cancelled passport, I am not sure if this is acceptable to GNIB when re-entrying Ireland upon our return.
Naturally we could go through the consulate in ireland, forwarding her passport to London where the Peruvian Embassy is. However I've heard this is a slow route taking many months.
If at possible, I would like to renew her passport here in peru.

Does any have any experience here?
I plan to contact INIS but would welcome views and experiences from people here.

Thanks.

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Spouse renewing passport while abroad - re-entry stamp i

Post by CalvinKlien » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:38 am

I had a similar experience in Pakistan, while having a valid Stamp 4 visa on a passport which was due to expire in a years time. I renewed my passport in Pakistan and the old passport got cancelled, however the old passport was attached back to back with the new one and i presented both passports to Immigration (which were attached to each other) while leaving Pakistan, than the same was presented in Dublin. I never had any problem on any port or in DOJ/INIS.

I understand ur concern while in Peru. On a safe side If possible try to renew her passport from London embassy. Although its slow but hassle free.

Post by 110 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:56 pm

You will have absolutely no problems whats so ever, a cancelled passport does not mean your valid visas are cancelled, if you Google for British visa ( i know you are talking about the irish re entry) you will find official guides which says you do not need to transfer your visa to the new passport as long as you carry both the passports with you.

Irishman30
Newly Registered

Post by Irishman30 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

INIS got back to me and have confirmed that I can proceed and have my wife's passport renewed but keep the old cancelled one. She will need to show this at Dublin airport and will need to update her new passport when in Ireland with the relevant stamps to match her GNIB card.

So we'll go ahead then with this.