ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 YEAR RESIDENCE ILR - TRAVEL ABROAD HELP

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

taperac
Newly Registered

10 YEAR RESIDENCE ILR - TRAVEL ABROAD HELP

Post by taperac » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:07 am

Dear Forum

I would appreciate your help before I waste money on a Long Residency ILR Application.

In 2003 I was granted a student visa and then moved to the old general work permit in 2005 , however before I could finish my 5 year qualifying period I was made redundant. I then applied with my wife for refugee status which was granted because of our circumstances which I will not bore you with. Refugee status was granted in August 2011 for 5 years ( so up to August 2016).

In 2012 I was very fortunate to find a job which requires extensive European travel and have been using a UK Refugee Travel Document (TD). While the document is useful it has significant limitations as some EU countries (eg Hungary and Italy) require me to apply for a visa which causes a few issues at work as I cannot be as flexible as required. Due to this I am keen to move faster into ILR then Citizenship as the job has been a God-sent to me and my family.

The problem is that if I apply under the 10 year rule , for which I now qualify ( I have done the necessary checks with an immigration lawyer) , I would need to submit all travel documents. I understand that if you need to travel and request your travel document back , you have to withdraw you application at the same time. Has anyone got any experience of requesting the Home Office to allow you to keep your TD while they process the ILR application or alternatively to fast-track the application. There is no way I can do my job without frequent travel. My boss has sort of implied that such a gap of say 4-5 months without a TD would not be acceptable. I do not want to lose this job as it will be difficult to get a similar one that is purely UK based.

I appreciate this is a slightly unique case , but any input will be greatly appreciated , forum.

Taperac

junk2014
Newly Registered

Re: 10 YEAR RESIDENCE ILR - TRAVEL ABROAD HELP

Post by junk2014 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi.
Check to see if you can use the checking service for you application. If so, they will generally copy your documents to send off with your application and then return the originals to you. This way you still have your TD if you require them.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:31 pm

What checking service are you talking about?

Unfortunately, there isn't any premium service for Long residence applications.

Requesting passport for the purpose of travel will result in the application being deemed as withdrawn.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

taperac
Newly Registered

Post by taperac » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:14 pm

junk2014 wrote:Hi.
Check to see if you can use the checking service for you application. If so, they will generally copy your documents to send off with your application and then return the originals to you. This way you still have your TD if you require them.
junk2014

Thanks for your input , I do not think I have that option but will check.

taperac
Newly Registered

Post by taperac » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:24 pm

vinny wrote:What checking service are you talking about?

Unfortunately, there isn't any premium service for Long residence applications.

Requesting passport for the purpose of travel will result in the application being deemed as withdrawn.
Vinny

I seem to agree with you but is there no service where the Post Office checks your documentation , then you post the application without the TD...or is this slightly more complicated? Any other thoughts Vinny