ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

new citizen applying for first passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

black_bird

new citizen applying for first passport

Post by black_bird » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi guys, I got my citizenship last year :)

A question on applying for first passport, if I am in the UK I suppose I will need to send in the application with card details, naturalisation certificate and passport , but may I double check if that is just the current passport? I won't need to send in my old passports for the last 7 years I am in the UK?

Is the processing time 6 weeks, and I can not travel for that time period?

I might look for job oversea, if I relocate will I then need to post the same application and document from oversea? Will there be an interview and would I need to travel back to the UK for that?

Thanks

gbhsmp
United Kingdom

Re: new citizen applying for first passport

Post by gbhsmp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:34 pm

black_bird wrote:Hi guys, I got my citizenship last year :)

A question on applying for first passport, if I am in the UK I suppose I will need to send in the application with card details, naturalisation certificate and passport , but may I double check if that is just the current passport? I won't need to send in my old passports for the last 7 years I am in the UK?

Is the processing time 6 weeks, and I can not travel for that time period?

I might look for job oversea, if I relocate will I then need to post the same application and document from oversea? Will there be an interview and would I need to travel back to the UK for that?

Thanks
1. The current valid passport is what you need to send. The cancelled old passports need not be sent
2. First passport application - via naturalisation - interview is a MUST. You cannot escape from interview. Interview is a MUST now-a-days for first passport even for ethinic British citizens. You can ask your friend or neighbour to keep a lookout for the letter from HM passport office and come here and attend the interview. You must give the local residence address for both delivery of passport and return of the Original documents.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:44 pm

If you are in the UK, you can use the NCS facility at most local councils. While they will charge you a fee, they will photocopy your passport and submit certified copies. They will return the passport to you and you will then be able to travel even while your application is under consideration.

A passport interview is a requirement for all first adult passports, even for British citizens by birth or descent.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:15 pm

black_bird wrote:Hi guys, I got my citizenship last year :)
@Secret.simon - passport query only as OP is already British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:17 pm

@CR001

Mea culpa. I should have read more carefully. The perils of speed-reading...