ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going to Germany using a schengen visa obtained else where?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sunnyday

Going to Germany using a schengen visa obtained else where?

Post by sunnyday » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Would that be okay to enter one schengen country using a schengen visa obtained from another schengen country's embassy? The country I'm after has all their visa appointments booked up. I know there are people doing this but want to know if they are likely to face a problem at the custom at all?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Going to Germany using a schengen visa obtained else whe

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:15 pm

sunnyday wrote:Would that be okay to enter one schengen country using a schengen visa obtained from another schengen country's embassy? The country I'm after has all their visa appointments booked up. I know there are people doing this but want to know if they are likely to face a problem at the custom at all?
I think the considered opinion is that it's ok in theory, but the fact is the person my find the State in question unwilling to issue another if it wasn't used in that State.

Question is, where else can u easily obtain a Schengen Visa? Germany didn't seem soo fully booked up when we got our WP/Schengen. France seems the easiest/quickest but only if outside London when u can apply by post.

After calling to book with 5 consulates u can spend 100 quid on the ripoff 0906 lines....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:17 am

sunnyday wrote:Would that be okay to enter one schengen country using a schengen visa obtained from another schengen country's embassy? The country I'm after has all their visa appointments booked up. I know there are people doing this but want to know if they are likely to face a problem at the custom at all?
This questions crops up over and over again. There is nothing in theory to stop you from using a valid Schengen visa from one Schengen state to enter another Schengen state. However there are a few things you should bear in mind:

1) The Shengen country you apply to will want to see proof (usually non-refundable) of travel tickets and accomodation. So if you got a French visa to go to Germany you will have to pay not only for your German tickets and hotel but also for French tickets and a hotel.

2) If you do not use the French schengen visa to actually go to France, you will very likely be refused another French schengen visa should you apply for one in future, unless you obtain a multiple entry French Schengen visa, use it to go to Germany and then subsequently (on a seperate trip) use to go to France before the visa expires. But you better make sure your subsequent trip to France is longer than the trip you made to Germany.

3) If it is your first time applying for a visa at a particular embassy you are likely to get a single entry visa valid only for the dates you specify for your trip.

Moral of the story, if you are going to Germany then get a German schengen visa. Don't try to buck the system until you've had some experience obtaining Schengen visas and know where the loopholes are.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:44 am

Dawie wrote:1) The Shengen country you apply to will want to see proof (usually non-refundable) of travel tickets and accomodation. So if you got a French visa to go to Germany you will have to pay not only for your German tickets and hotel but also for French tickets and a hotel.
Sunnyday, you've not stated why you want the visa or what your own circumstances are, so bear in mind that if you want a Schengen Visa because you are the family member of an EU/EEA Citizen and are travelling with that citizen (or to see them) they cannot request any documents other than your passports and proof of the family relationship - and they must issue the visa to you for free.
--
Mark Y-M
London

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:12 pm

Thank you all.
Think I'll stick to just that embassy to avoid unwanted troubles.

DavidR98
Newly Registered

Post by DavidR98 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:17 am

[quote="Wanderer
Question is, where else can u easily obtain a Schengen Visa? Germany didn't seem soo fully booked up when we got our WP/Schengen. France seems the easiest/quickest but only if outside London when u can apply by post.

After calling to book with 5 consulates u can spend 100 quid on the ripoff 0906 lines....[/quote]

Now (August 2007) France says that it takes "several weeks" to process postal applications.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:21 am

DavidR98 wrote:[quote="Wanderer

After calling to book with 5 consulates u can spend 100 quid on the ripoff 0906 lines....
Now (August 2007) France says that it takes "several weeks" to process postal applications.[/quote]

Seems to be taking longer and longer everywhere if you read here....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....