ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa for spouse for a British Citizen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kalmefrnd

Schengen Visa for spouse for a British Citizen

Post by kalmefrnd » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi,

I am a spouse of a British Citizen living in London and I currently hold ILR. I am planning to visit Spain for a week holiday.
when I checked for the Spain tourist visa in VFS Global Website, I read the below given details :-
Family members of an EU/EEA National in possession of a valid UK Residence Permit are not required of a visa to enter Spain if traveling with or intending to join the EEA family member.
Given we are driving via Calais, can u pls answer the below questions :-
1) Do I need to have Schengen visa for France or for Spain ?
2) Which embassy should I apply the visa for ?
3) What are the documents required?

I appreciate your reply ASAP
Thanks for the help in advance

Thank you,
Deepa

Donutz

Re: Schengen Visa for spouse for a British Citizen

Post by Donutz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:18 am

If you do not a "family member of a citizen of the union/EU/EEA" card it's best to apply for a visa. Since you are family of an EU/EEA (UK) national traveling together to Spain, the visa should be free, minimal documentation and processed ASAP (2 weeks max). You can go either via VFS (they are optional for all applicants) or contact the Spanish directly. Most embassies prefer to sent people to VFS though even though you are not required to do so if you don't want to.

If all fails: head to Dover together with your spouse, bring the marriage documents with you and travel by ferry or train from Calais to Dover, the French should issue a visa on the spot.

1) best to get a visa.
2) Spain, as it's your main destination
3) mariage papers, translation in English if it's in a foreign language that the embassy can not read, both you passports (copies), documents that show you will travel to Spain together such as a written statement by the UK national, or a hotel reservation. No need to proof sufficients funds, no need for travel insurance etc. The visa should be issued free of charge, ASAP.