ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can non-Christians get married in Church of England

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chriskv1
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Can non-Christians get married in Church of England

Post by chriskv1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:44 pm

So , I was wondering if Non- Christians (an individual belonging to a different religion than christianity ) would be able to get married in a Church of England . ?
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
Mahatma Gandhi

E&OE. I'm not a legal professional.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Re: Can non-Christians get married in Church of England

Post by 357mag » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Yes but if you are a Muslim you might be sentenced to a stoning or beheading by your Mullah.
And the vicar might not be too happy if you say alluah akabar as you enter the church.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

chriskv1
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by chriskv1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:44 pm

I am a Hindu . and so is my fiance.

I know for a fact that UKBA doesn't cause much problems when getting married in a church , which is why I thought about it :)

Thanks for your reply!
Mahatma Gandhi

asian_atheart

Post by asian_atheart » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Chriskv1-I think you need to approach the church in your local parish and speak to the pastor there. I think churches have a legal commitment to arrange weddings. However pastors do want to know a couple better before they can marry them. You may need to explain why you want a 'Christian wedding'. I don't think the "fact that UKBA doesn't cause much problems when getting married in a church" is a good reason :) .
If you and your partner are Hindu why not have a hindu ceremony??

@357Mag-hilarious! :D

Starquality
Newly Registered

Post by Starquality » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:55 pm

chriskv1 wrote:I am a Hindu . and so is my fiance.

I know for a fact that UKBA doesn't cause much problems when getting married in a church , which is why I thought about it :)

Thanks for your reply!

According to the Church of England ..."If you are from outside the European Economic Area*, having a Church of England wedding will involve some different paperwork and there will be a number of things the Vicar will want to talk to you about. The law regarding marriages of national from outside the EAA is due to change on 2 March 2015" please take note

secondly, assuming you are not a regular attendee but of a different religious faith as stated, your EEA application might attract intense scrutiny. I think...

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm

357mag wrote:Yes but if you are a Muslim you might be sentenced to a stoning or beheading by your Mullah.
And the vicar might not be too happy if you say alluah akabar as you enter the church.
You must not speak until listen carefully the circumstances of the query seeker. You should not discharge your mental dust from rusticated brain. 357mag maybe your tablet name so take it and take a big rest.

chriskv1
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by chriskv1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 pm

@asian_atheart : Hindu ceremonies are not legally recognised by the government in the UK.

@Starquality : Yes , I read its about acquiring the commons licence , But it seems like I can get one now and get married with it later.
Mahatma Gandhi

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:51 pm

What I mean is the Church of England sees all as equal under God, but if you are of a different religeon it could cause you trouble later. Maybe not for yourself but maybe other members of you family. Imagine having to explain to your kids that mummy and daddy were married by another relgieon because it was convenient.

Hindu marriages are not recognised, thats despicable.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Easiest, quickest, cheap and most common is inside the registry office and later organize its celebration personally in whichever style/faith depending on budget and mutual consent. But most importantly one need to know that whichever place the marriage is taking place the relevant authority there has direct partnership with UKBA who can intervene. Usually in registry office marriages there are no religious sentences the couple need to read/say. Even in churches a lot sham marriages the vicar had conducted:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-sin.html
"Words build bridges into unexplored regions" Adolf Hitler

chriskv1
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by chriskv1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:42 pm

@UKBA HUNTER :I know there might be sham marriages..but I've been living with my partner for the past 7 months , we already have an unmarried partner eea2 application still in process.but we want to get married , just don't want UKBA ruining it for us in front of my friends and family..because my leave to remain has expired after application of eea2.
Mahatma Gandhi

chriskv1
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by chriskv1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:47 pm

@357mag: Islam marriages aren't recognised either ..you have to get married in a council ..same as Hindu weddings..
Mahatma Gandhi

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:07 am

Easier way to understand is that UK accept foreign marriages if these marriages have been legally conducted and recognised there. But usually non-eu countries does not recognise UK marriages unless it has been conducted under their religious/cultural/traditional style.
"Words build bridges into unexplored regions" Adolf Hitler

chriskv1
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by chriskv1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 am

I am talking about marriages inside the UK .
Mahatma Gandhi

asian_atheart

Post by asian_atheart » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:01 am

@chriskv1:
Clearly from what everyone has said you can't avoid the paperwork involved whichever route you take. The vicar will also scrutinise the intent and has a legal obligation to inform the government agency to register the marriage
Your choice of whether you want a church/hindu wedding is simply a matter of choosing the ceremony you want to conduct.
You may have to risk the worry of raising UKBA suspicions. Though I believe as long as you have a valid application to remain in the UK pending, you cannot be kicked out. I'm sure its been done before.