ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I really need to work to stay? (EU citizen in Germany)

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Noz03
European Union

Do I really need to work to stay? (EU citizen in Germany)

Post by Noz03 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:49 am

I am an EU citizen from the UK and my wife is non-eu family member. They wouldn't accept her application for residence permit because we didn't have an income to support ourselves, and was told my €20,000 savings is not enough... They gave her a 6 month paper with permission to stay and work and said we must return with an income before the end of that time.

The thing is, I didn't wish to work this soon after arriving as I was hoping to learn the language while self studying and researching for a future business I wish to start, my wife plans to do an internship but is unlikely to earn more than 500-800 euros at an internship in her field (despite new minimum wage laws) so I'm sure we will have some problems.

Is there any way around this or MUST I get an unwanted job which would have negative effects on my plans just to show immigration?

mgb

Re: Do I really need to work to stay? (EU citizen in Germany

Post by mgb » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:37 am

What is the name of the paper your wife got?

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:23 pm

You need to be a worker or self-employed or student or sel-sufficient.

There in no stated level of how much you need to be self-sufficent but I would say 20,000 euro is more than enough, you will also need comprehensive health insurance.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

Noz03
European Union

Post by Noz03 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:55 am

I'm not sure the name of the paper but there is a title that says "Antrag Bescheinigung gemäß § 5 abs. 1 satz 2 freizügG/EU".

I think €20,000 is more than enough also, at least for two years... But what can I do? The woman who seems to be the boss there is literally straight out of hell! She literally shouted at and insulted us last time I was there... I'm really worried what will happen when our 6 months is up.

mgb

Post by mgb » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:13 am

The paper is the receipt for the necessary registration of a family member of a eu citizen with the Ausländerbehörde. The next step is either a residance card or a refusal in writing. The 6 month are the max time they can use for a decision due to directive 2004/38.
In my opinion they have no chance to refuse a residance card. If they do they have to justify the refusal and you have the right for a appeal or judical review.
You could ask solvit for help to speed up the whole thing.
http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/

Noz03
European Union

Post by Noz03 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:52 am

Can they not reject me on the basis that I am not working? Or because in their opinion I do not have enough money? According to them, to get a 5 year residence permit I must have enough money for 5 years, they randomly and unofficially said numbers around €800 per month per person... But I'm not sure if that means the would reject me completely or just give me 1-2 years?

mgb

Post by mgb » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Your wife apply as a family member of a self sufficient eu citizen with enough financial resources for at least 2 years. Thats no reason to refuse a residence card. They can check after 2 years if the preconditions are still met if they want.
Ask solvit for help.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:30 am

Noz03 wrote:Can they not reject me on the basis that I am not working? Or because in their opinion I do not have enough money? According to them, to get a 5 year residence permit I must have enough money for 5 years, they randomly and unofficially said numbers around €800 per month per person... But I'm not sure if that means the would reject me completely or just give me 1-2 years?
That is complete rubbish, you should have requested to see their supervisor.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors