ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MUST BOTH PARENTS NEED TO SIGN?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mel1234
Newly Registered

MUST BOTH PARENTS NEED TO SIGN?

Post by mel1234 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:42 am

I need advise: I have to apply for my four year old son's British Naturalization as when he was born in the UK and at the time of his birth I did not my Non-EEA residency permit. Me and my husband is seperated and I have a residency order and a non prohibited steps order with no contact order as the court voided the contact order.

Problem is that my ex husband does not want to sign the application and my son needs a passport, we are not legally divorced yet.

How can go about to do the application without his signature?

davidr450
Newly Registered

Re: MUST BOTH PARENTS NEED TO SIGN?

Post by davidr450 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:00 am

Hi Mel,

It seems that it depends on the reason for naturalisation. I assume you are using form MN1, in which case it says specifically that you can have the consent of only one parent if you provide proper reasons and documentary proof of this. This may, or may not be valid, and you may have a problem since you are still married, as your husband may claim that you are planning on fleeing the country with your son without his consent (which would usually amount to kidnapping).

I'd seek legal advice. eitehr approach your embassy, or a legal advisor who understands UK citizenship law.

mel1234
Newly Registered

Post by mel1234 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:43 pm

My son holds a South African passport currently and and I hold Perminent Residency as a NON EEA dependant. The reason for the application is because I want to apply for our British Naturalisation? Not to take him of out the country.

Thank you for your reply

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:38 pm

mel1234 wrote:My son holds a South African passport currently and and I hold Perminent Residency as a NON EEA dependant. The reason for the application is because I want to apply for our British Naturalisation? Not to take him of out the country.

Thank you for your reply
I am guessing by " Perminent Residency as a NON EEA dependant." you meant ILR? If this is the case then you are not a dependant any more once you hold ILR. I'd agree to go for proper legal advice.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.