ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport - overseas application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

act834
Newly Registered

British passport - overseas application

Post by act834 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone's gone through the overseas application process. I applied and within 2-3 days of processing, the status changed to 'dispatched'. It say's dispatched means they are sending you your passport, but there is no way they processed a first time overseas applicant in under a week.

I'm wondering, does it also say 'dispatched' when they are sending you a rejection or asking you to refile?

Thanks.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Re: British passport - overseas application

Post by akhurshid » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:15 pm

act834 wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone's gone through the overseas application process. I applied and within 2-3 days of processing, the status changed to 'dispatched'. It say's dispatched means they are sending you your passport, but there is no way they processed a first time overseas applicant in under a week.

I'm wondering, does it also say 'dispatched' when they are sending you a rejection or asking you to refile?

Thanks.
They are definitely not that quick. How did you apply? Was it an adult application? The only time they'll refuse a passport application if you are not entitled to one. They might have asked for something else or you must be very luck if you receive passport so quickly specially from abroad.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Oh and I forgot the system error :-)

act834
Newly Registered

Post by act834 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:33 pm

It was an online adult application. My father is a British citizen, I was born in Canada, but I learnt a little while ago that I can get a uk passport because he was born there. I've done my homework, and there doesn't seem to be any reason why i would be rejected, so i'm a little confused. But I've been reading some people have had problems with the online system, so maybe it's related to that?!

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:04 pm

act834 wrote:It was an online adult application. My father is a British citizen, I was born in Canada, but I learnt a little while ago that I can get a uk passport because he was born there. I've done my homework, and there doesn't seem to be any reason why i would be rejected, so i'm a little confused. But I've been reading some people have had problems with the online system, so maybe it's related to that?!
It could be due to system issue. HMPO's online system is not an actual Beta version. I believe it's not even an Alpha version. Why don't you call HMPO and ask them what the status actually means. 0044 300 222 0000

demonjas
Newly Registered

Post by demonjas » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:50 am

For a first passport most have had to re submit the application on paper from OS after trying an online application. I was registered as a British citizen in December and if I had sent in a paper application in the first place I probably would have had my passport in less than 2 weeks. As it stood, it took just a month including the Christmas and new year holidays in the middle. I re sent the paperwork on the 7th of January and the passport was issued on the 16th, delivered to me on the 20th.

You applying on the basis of you father and if he has a current passport, the process should be relatively easy to do.

Don't rely on the online status, give them a quick call with the reference number for your application. I received my passport and documents today in Bermuda and the online status is still stuck at "please contact us". The guy on the phone was really helpful when I called them and if you're nice to them they will tell you exactly what stage the application is at.

The online system is mostly broken for non routine applications from what I am learning from people on this board.

Good luck!

act834
Newly Registered

Post by act834 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks for the comment!

Interestingly, my passport arrived in the mail today. I don't know how, but they processed it in 3-4 days. I even got my package with the other documents back today as well.

I've been reading how long it takes and all of the problems with the system - I don't know if it went so quickly because I have my dad's passport and my countersignatory holds a UK passport - or, maybe there is a chance they've plowed there way through the backlogs!

Anyways, very happy! Thanks for your help!

demonjas
Newly Registered

Post by demonjas » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Having your father's passport and your countersignatory being British probably had a lot to do with the speed of the application. Although it's not a strictly "rubber stamp" process, it's a lot easier than some of the vetting that has to be done for naturalized citizens.

As I said mine was by way of registration as I am Canadian, naturalized as a British Overseas Territory Citizen (BOTC) - Bermuda, already had a passport for BOTC and registered as a British Citizen - so I was already more than half way there when I applied.

Great news that your passport arrived.