ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Electoral registration on previous address

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fn286

Electoral registration on previous address

Post by fn286 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Dear moderators and seniors

I need urgent expert advise. My previous address is registered with electoral and I moved out couple of months ago. Will this affect my naturalisation application? I'm aware it's against law and I could be fined but I need expert advise whether my naturalisation application can be rejected just because my electoral record is not updated? I'm registered with electoral but at previous address, its not that I'm not registered at all. I'm common wealth citizen.

Please can anyone share their experience whose naturalisation was accepted or rejected just because they were not registered with electoral or never updated their address record in time.

Please advise soon. its urgent.

Thanks a lot.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Re: Electoral registration on previous address

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:39 pm

There is someone who had different address than their spouse and got citizenship. That is not a problem as long you are married. Even if you have separated from your spouse, you are still legally married until divorce is finalized.

If you have moved out permanently, you should update your electoral to new address. It shouldn't cause issue if you take an action even now.

fn286

Post by fn286 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Dear akhurshid

Please note I'm not on spouse visa route. I got my ILR via Tier 1 general route.

My question is I'm registered with Electoral at my previous address where I no longer lives. Do I really need to register with Electoral at current address before applying for naturalisation? Is it absolutely necessary? Or my naturalisation can still be approved without electoral registration at current address?

I couldnt find any information related to electoral registration on citizenship guidelines. It doesnt say any where its necessary. I can imagine many are not eligible to register with electoral but I'm eligible being common wealth citizen and I'm already registered and voted twice during elections at previous addresses.

I really need authentic advice.

thanks.

fn286

Post by fn286 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:40 pm

moderators and experts, please advise

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Sorry I don't how I got the impression that you were married to British spouse.

Anyway, you know it's against the law to be register on Electoral on the address where you don't live so its pretty straight forward to me.
If I were processing your application, I would definitely try to find out why you are registered at that address.
HO has started doing credit checks on every applicant now so they will definitely know. They have started doing that since December so it's unlikely you'll find someone who has gone through the same process.

Its up to you, do you really want to be register on that address where you don't live any more and risk your application or just do the right thing and register to the address where you live on?

fn286

Post by fn286 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Credit check will be cleared as I'm registered with Electoral. Credit check doesnt fail if current address is different. I couldnt find it written anywhere that home office will conduct credit checks. If you fail credit check doesnt mean your naturalisation will be refused. Bad credit history is not something against the law. What about people who are not eligible for the electoral?

someone once wrote on this forum that he was not registered with the Electoral despite being eligible but his application was approved.

I will get registered at current address but I want to know if its absolutely necessary. I personally think Home Office wont check electoral records and even if they did they wont mind registration on previous addresses already mentioned on the application under previous addresses section. Some people may forgot to register or update their electoral records so home office cannot reject their applications. They are permanent residents, even they dont do credit checks or electoral check at the time of ILR application.

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:14 pm

I am not sure if you have seen a credit report before but it lists where your vote is registered. There is no pass or fail for credit checks.
You really have to have a good reason to live on an address and registered else where to vote.

Anyway it is your decision end of the day. No one on here will tell you a loop hole in the law or encourage you to do something which falls outside the law. You know yourself that its against the law to be registered on electoral on an address where you don't live. I don't know what you are trying to get out of me or other members on the forum. It's black and white to me. You shouldn't do something which you are not supposed to do. Simple...

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:38 pm

You can be registered to vote at multiple places. It is a criminal offence to vote twice in the same elections, though.
My credit report lists my electoral registration in both my old and new addresses. That has been the case for me for the past four years and I got my citizenship without an issue last year. I would suggest that you relax.
If you are uneasy, deregister yourself at the appropriate electoral office. But it should not have an impact on your naturalisation.

fn286

Post by fn286 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Dear akhurshid

I've seen credit reports and I know what information these reports have - I'm a financial services professional BTW.

My point was not about credit reports...my point was Home office won't check credit reports...

fn286

Post by fn286 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:59 pm

Dear Secret.simon

I think your case is more close to me and makes more sense to me. But my case is slightly different then yours. I'm not registered on multiple addresses. I'm only registered at my previous address and I no longer live there. I know we can register at multiple addresses if we have multiple properties but in my case I've left previous property.

But I think you are right home office wont check electoral registration but again I'm not sure if this will have any impact on application. Home office is only concerned about criminal records and not registering with electoral or failing to update address is not a criminal offense.

badratio

Post by badratio » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:15 pm

fn286 wrote:Dear akhurshid

I've seen credit reports and I know what information these reports have - I'm a financial services professional BTW.

My point was not about credit reports...my point was Home office won't check credit reports...
They might.
7. Introduces random checking procedures with other government departments and credit reference agencies to ensure decision-making is not reliant solely on an applicant’s declaration.

7.1 Accepted
7.2 The Home Office has been developing the capability to conduct checks with other Government Departments such as HMRC and DWP and also with credit reference agencies. In the coming 6 months we will start to introduce these enhanced checks across nationality casework.
Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... sework.pdf

Although, I believe they'll be looking for undeclared CJJs or bankruptcy.
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

fn286

Post by fn286 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:46 am

Dear badratio

Very thoughtful response from you and thank you. As you might be aware that credit referencing agencies (experian, call credit etc) they not only provide credit reports but several different services to companies. Home office will be least bothered about credit report (credit history, past credit agreements) and more about criminal records, CCJ and/or bankruptcies like you said. I won't have problem at all.

My question remains, whether electoral registration will be considered, and if yes can home office reject naturalsation application if electoral address is not updated?

Thanks

badratio

Post by badratio » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Personally, I do not believe they'll refuse your application because of it. Although, they do like it when people vote... but it's hardly a reason to substantiate a refusal.
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015