ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Booking Life in the UK Test outside of your local area?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

littlewolf
Newly Registered

Booking Life in the UK Test outside of your local area?

Post by littlewolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:01 pm

Hello - This is my first time posting but I lurk on this forum regularly. :)
I am attempting to book my Life in the UK test, however I have left it quite close to the deadline of my visa expiring (which for me is, 14/02/15). When I am attempting to book the test online it is listing the 5 closest test centres to my address (London), however none of them have a test date that is available anytime before March!! I have looked and there are test available much earlier than that in other parts of the UK (Liverpool for example have a test available in the next 8 days). - Is it possible to telephone them and book a test over the phone for another test centre? Or does the test, for some reason, have to take place in a local test centre near to your registered address?

I hope that makes sense and I would greatly appreciate any advice on this matter. Many many thanks :)

oliver2015
Newly Registered

Re: Booking Life in the UK Test outside of your local area?

Post by oliver2015 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi Littlewolf,

I found myself in a similar situation a few months ago and I would suggest you check the possibility of getting proof of address in Liverpool as the test centre won't let you do the test without providing proof of address dated in the last 3 months!

No - they will not book it for you over the phone so best bet is to start looking at possibilities of a proof of address to be able to do it in Liverpool.

Good luck!

littlewolf
Newly Registered

Post by littlewolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi oliver2015,

Thanks for getting back to me. So just to clarify: if I can get a proof of my address in Liverpool (which I may be able to do as my wife's address is registered in Liverpool and we have a joint bank account) could I then, in theory, book the test at a Liverpool test centre and provide a bank statement with my recently changed address registered to my wife's address in Liverpool?

Is it then OK to apply for ILR and be registered at my London address? So to clarify, my test will have been booked on my Liverpool address.... but all other forms etc on ILR application will be from my London address. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry this is just so messy! If I can't do this it means I will now have to apply for an extension on my spouse visa (more money!) and pay my solicitor extra for now processing the extension as well as my ILR application. Jesus wept!! :cry:

oliver2015
Newly Registered

Post by oliver2015 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:37 pm

Hi Littlewolf,

Indeed Jesus Wept :D

Absolutely spot on! Get a proof of address on your Mrs's address,preferably bank statements and get it stamped by bank, make sure you edit your profile details to the Liverpool address on the LITUK website before 7 days to the test date so they can update your details.

PS Note: Don't shoot yourself in the foot by getting there and asking question about your changes of address trying to check if its okay as most people tend to do on here, just give them the proof and bang, you're in, done, and dusted!

Also - yes it is okay to apply for ILR with a passed LITUK certificate with another post code different to yours in London...I mean put in into context, what if you were in Liverpool to work for a few weeks and you managed to squeeze it in there? Surely they can't restrict you to 5 places given that you're not even restricted by Home Office to use any PEO closer to you! I found that side of the process ridiculous!

If I happen to be in your shoes right now, I'd book in 2 slots before the 14th just in case you didn't pass the first attempt. I'm not saying you wouldn't pass on your first attempt but just in case. I'd rather loose £50 and get it over it than the emotional stress and mental block caused by this.

I'm sure it will go well for you!

littlewolf
Newly Registered

Post by littlewolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi again oliver2015, thanks for your speedy response! :D

We are all systems go here! 8) I have just spoken with my bank who have assured me that if I go into the Liverpool branch tomorrow they can change my address AND provide me with a stamped bank statement which I can use as proof on the day of the Life in the UK test. I have also booked the test to be done in Liverpool and managed to get a test before my visa expires. - I don't want to count my chickens just yet... but things are looking up!

Thanks for all your help, really really appreciate it! I will post again in the future with an update! Thanks again :D

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Do keep us updated with your situation.

I've always wondered why the LIUK test is restricted to just the 5 closest test centres and its a nice loophole having to register a document at a different address so the test can be taken elsewhere.

However, would this be a issue when the case worker considers the application seeing the LIUK test is taken elsewhere (I hope not).

If you do obtain ILR, please do post back. It will be useful to know this loophole does indeed work.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

oliver2015
Newly Registered

Post by oliver2015 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:39 pm

You are very welcome Littlewolf.Keep us updated!

WR1 - I'm pretty sure it won't cause any issue because what they are after is that you pass the test. I mean we all travel round the country to apply in person at PEO why shouldn't the same be applicable to LIUK. It's really boggles one's mind but as soon as you have a proof of the address, I sincerely don't foresee any issue.

I mean, look at it this way, if you are living at Address A in Liverpool during the course of you being on a spouse visa and relocated to an address B in Manchester and you're currently residing here, would case worker invalidate your LIUK result because you moved or say that your application has been denied because of the post code difference? I very much doubt that!

That said, I suppose we just have to wait and see, I've seen people that have done this times and times again and they've never had an issue.
Last edited by oliver2015 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:39 pm

oliver2015 wrote:WR1 - I'm pretty sure it won't cause any issue because what they are after is that you pass the test. I mean we all travel round the country to apply in person at PEO why shouldn't the same be applicable to LIUK. It's really boggles one's mind but as soon as you have a proof of the address, I sincerely don't foresee any issue.
I agree with the principle, but my concern is why are we restricted to just 5 test centres. With PEO, there is no restriction to have the appointment anywhere in the country so that wouldn't be an issue. But LIUK is restricted to 5 centres so can be an issue if taken elsewhere.

Why don't the Home Office allow you to sit the test anywhere. The problem here is that the case worker may suspect a proxy test taker. We are all aware of the recent scandal with the English tests which had resulted in removing many qualification from their list and tightening of the rules. Now it may not be grounds for refusal, but it certainly is going to raise a few eyebrows when they consider why the test is taken say 200 miles away from home.
oliver2015 wrote:I mean, look at it this way, if you are living at Address A in Liverpool during the course of you being on a spouse visa and relocated to an address B in Manchester and you're currently residing here, would case worker invalidate your LIUK result because you moved or say that your application has been denied because of the post code difference? I very much doubt that!
That's all fine as it someone did move address, they would have to state this on the ILR form as all previous residing addresses in the past X years needs to be provided. So the HO would have this information already. However, if one has been living in one address with cohabitation documents for one address only and provided a LIUK taken 200 miles away, it would raise suspicions.

Now it may all come down to the case worker who is considering the application. It may very well be that one case worker may overlook it and not have an issue while another case worker would want to dig deeper and want to do further checks.
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

oliver2015
Newly Registered

Post by oliver2015 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:52 pm

I completely agree with all you've said, they are all spot on I must say, but in this particular case, it is his Mrs's address in Liverpool not some random address - hence why I said I don't foresee any issues.( I could be wrong as this is just my opinion)

Also - my friends that went through the same process used postcodes where they've lived in the past and were able to provide proof of address, so there wasn't any cause for alarm. I mean they used to live in London and now moved away due to job etc but left the LIUK test to last minute like our dear friend here and couldn't find an appointment, hence why they had to find alternative.

Going back to your question, why don't home office allow you to seat the test elsewhere? Correct me if I'm wrong, all these test centres are not owned by the HO, are they? The PEO are all government bodies and owned by HO. My point being, if they allow people to do it anywhere without the 5 options restriction, what are the chances of the revenues being allocated evenly among all the centres in the UK? What you will see is that the revenue of centres like London, Birmingham will constantly increase aggressively compare to some other centres in UK (This is merely my opinion again, I could be wrong). I think they are trying to be fair and even slots out, to the number of centres out there.

Let's just hope it goes well for Littlewolf and hopefully his experience will help fellow members!

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:14 pm

There is only postcode on the LIKU certificate, secondly I have met several people who have taken tests in different towns because of the availability issues.

As per the proof of address: I think it is required to verify the person rather than where he or she lives. I would recommend to find place in the nearest location and then call them if they will accept your London details for the test.

Regards

littlewolf
Newly Registered

Post by littlewolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your input, it really is much appreciated! :) Just to reiterate the Liverpool address is that of my wife's current residence as she splits her time between Liverpool/London due to studying. So the vast majority of her documents; bank account, bills, vehicle registration etc are already registered at that address. So if a caseworker does wish to delve a little deeper this can easily be explained. Plus on top of this, because of her splitting her time between the two address' we basically have to submit a tonne of evidence to justify why our living arrangement is the way it is anyway.

Well it is done now, we have booked the test for the next available date before my visa expires, so fingers crossed! I will happily be the guinea pig in this case as I really am left with no other option. So I shall let you all know in the future how it all went down. :) Thanks again everyone for your help & advice! I'll be sure to repay the favour and share any knowledge I have in future, once I am a little more enlightened after going through this whole process! :D

tereliye01
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tereliye01 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Littlewolf,

If you have not already given your test, practice all 48 tests from "http://www.theuktest.com/life-in-the-uk-test/1". Boosts your chances to pass in first attempt, at least 18-20 questions come from these practice tests (It was the case for me, my partner and couple of my friends who passed in 1st attempt). Having said that, I still recommend reading the book at least once (I did not read/buy the book myself though).

Cheers,
Bob

littlewolf
Newly Registered

Post by littlewolf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi Everyone, just a little update.
Well, it worked! and I passed!! :D So that brings me one step closer I guess. Just wanted to update you all incase anyone else is in the same boat in the future. Thanks again for all your help & advice! :)

rknshree

Post by rknshree » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:53 pm

Many congratulations and all the best for your application /

Will you be to suggest how difficult the test was ?
How many questions were related to historic DATES , years etc ?

How would you number the questions in Easy and Difficult ? ( the ratio )

Just trying to find out how generally you feel about the test.

littlewolf
Newly Registered

Post by littlewolf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:24 pm

Hey rknshree, I guess it's tricky to say really. I studied A LOT for the test because I had a lot riding on me passing it. I would say if you study properly reading the book etc then you will pass. I also did tons and tons of the mock tests available online and most of those came up on the actual day. There are lots that referred to dates if I remember correctly... it's hard to break it down into easy:hard but trust me friend, if you study from the book enough you will definitely pass. Just give yourself enough time to study properly. Good luck! :D

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:12 am

littlewolf, congratulations to passing the LIUK test.

Just keep us updated how the application goes. Interested in knowing what the outcome will be. Considering the Liverpool address is your wife's current address, the case worker should see nothing of it and it shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck with your application.

oliver2015
Newly Registered

Post by oliver2015 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Pleased for you littlewolf :D ! I had no doubt about it to start with.

Good luck with you application!