ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for citizenship then moving to another EU country

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Joel32
Newly Registered

Applying for citizenship then moving to another EU country

Post by Joel32 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi,

My non-EU wife is applying for citizenship through marriage to me. I am Irish. She meets the requirements etc. Once we apply must we remain in Ireland? The thing is I have to move to Belgium for a few years. Should we even bother applying?

Thanks

jeupsy

Re: Applying for citizenship then moving to another EU count

Post by jeupsy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:36 pm

If INIS learns that she has permanently moved to another country just after applying, you can be pretty sure they will decline the application.

If she doesn't tell them, they might or might not find out - but failing to provide them that information is probably illegal.

In summary, if she really wants to get citizenship I would strongly suggest to stay in ireland for a few more months.

Joel32
Newly Registered

Post by Joel32 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Thanks for the reply.

We won't apply for the moment. We are moving in one month from Ireland to Belguim and I don't know if she will be able to get a visa in that period of time? Anyone know the process or what we should apply for? I know that as a non-EU wife of an irish citizen she has the automatic right to be with me there. I hope it's not longer than one month to get the visa? :?

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Yes it should be easy and free of charge (only required documents should be your marriage certificate and something showing that you will be travelling together - for example flight itineraries).
In theory for this kind of request they also are meant to have an expedited process - but don't wait too long before you apply.

Joel32
Newly Registered

Post by Joel32 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks jeupsy