ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship ceremony abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dhruv45in

British Citizenship ceremony abroad

Post by dhruv45in » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:21 am

Hi. My wife applied for her BC through descent as he mother is British and she was born in 1982. The application was successful and she was asked to contact the local office for citizenship ceremony. Now the problem is we have moved to India in the meanwhile and she will have to travel to UK just to attend the ceremony. We enquired at the British Embassy in New Delhi and they say they do organise citizenship ceremonies there but the request and the certificate has to come from the Nationality Team in UK and we will have to liase with them.
We have written an e mail to them but since we only have 21 days after receiving the confirmation letter, time is running out. Can someone please help us with a contact no. or a way to organise it quickly.

Thanks

secret.simon

Re: British Citizenship ceremony abroad

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm afraid I'm a bit confused by the information provided by you.

If your mother-in-law was British, your wife is British by descent (as mentioned by you). If she is British by descent, there is no ceremony to undergo. Simply apply for a British passport straightaway with documentation such as your mother-in-law's passport/proof of citizenship and your wife's birth certificate.

It seems clear that you applied to the Home Office. Which form did you use?

dhruv45in

Post by dhruv45in » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:32 pm

If you were born before 1983 to a British mother, you werent considered as a British national automatically (read born outside the UK).

Yes we applied to the Home Office using the Form UKM.

mariof
Newly Registered

Post by mariof » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:27 am

I thought one of the criteria for obttaining British citizenship is that you intend to live and establish yourself in the UK. If you had the intention to move back to India, doesn't it contravene this requirement?

tja28
Newly Registered

Post by tja28 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:22 pm

mariof wrote:I thought one of the criteria for obttaining British citizenship is that you intend to live and establish yourself in the UK. If you had the intention to move back to India, doesn't it contravene this requirement?
Yes it is perfectly legit, see the quote and the link below from ukba website. Being in Indian during the process does not mean one will not come back to the uk to settle. It might be that they are out there just for a year or two.
Go for it, you are allowed.

Ceremonies outside the UK

If you’re registering to become a British citizen and you can’t be in the UK, your citizenship ceremony will take place at the embassy or consulate in the country you’re living in.

You’ll need to make an oath or affirmation of allegiance but you won’t need to attend a citizenship ceremony if you’re registering to become

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... ceremonies