ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marrying a british woman

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

niksinif
Newly Registered

marrying a british woman

Post by niksinif » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi. I am currently in the UK visiting my girlfriend. We have decided to get married. I have talked to the lawyer and I am supposed to go back to my country and apply for permanent residency from there. Should I get married in the UK before I go back or come back and then get married?

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:32 pm

If you are here on a visitor's visa, you will not be able to marry now anyway without permission from the Home Office. The exception is some C of E churches.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:33 pm

You cannot get married in UK whilst on a visitor visa without getting a CoA or 'Certificate of approval' first. While there has been a ruling against this, I do not think the HO issues it to people on the visit visa.

So your options are to go back and obtain the 'Fiance visa' or to take your fiance along, get married in your country and then get the 'Spouse visa'. For information on any of the above, search

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/
Jabi

niksinif
Newly Registered

price

Post by niksinif » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:01 pm

id also like to ask whats a reasonable price to pay a lawyer to represent me from begining to end

niksinif
Newly Registered

Post by niksinif » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:04 pm

what documents should one expect to present when applying? ive heard of people required to have bank statements, photos, letters, etc.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:36 pm

The exception is some C of E churches.
Even the Church of England route has now disappeared :-

Church of England Prepares New Guidelines to Tackle Bogus Marriages

As I understand it, technically the law has not been changed .... yet ... it is just that the Church of England has made a discussion not to marry non-EEA nationals unless they are in one of the categories ..... has CoA ... or has fiance(e) visa .... or has ILR or some other "settled" status.
John