ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work & Study & CSI (losing residency without leaving UK)?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DeepBlueUK
Newly Registered

Work & Study & CSI (losing residency without leaving UK)?

Post by DeepBlueUK » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi all,

I am an EU national, arrived in the UK and worked the first 2 years. Then, the remaining 2 years I had studied here, followed by another year of work. Hence, 5 years have been completed.

My query related to the necessity of having CSI for the 2 years I studied here, in-between my years of working. If i did not have CSI, how could I be considered a non-resident for those 2 years since, when I started my studies in the UK, I was already a resident here and not in any other country? Hence, how can you lose residency even though you stayed here all along after working and did not move back to your own EU country at all?

Thanks in advance,

James

LilyLalilu

Re: Work & Study & CSI (losing residency without leaving UK)

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:26 am

You're not considered a non-resident during these two years but you are not exercising treaty rights if you did not have CSI whilst you were a student. As treaty rights need to be exercised for a CONTINUOUS period of 5 years in order to obtain PR, the 5 year 'clock' would have started anew once you started working again...
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

TGracias
Newly Registered

Re: Work & Study & CSI (losing residency without leaving UK)

Post by TGracias » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:17 pm

LilyLalilu wrote:You're not considered a non-resident during these two years but you are not exercising treaty rights if you did not have CSI whilst you were a student. As treaty rights need to be exercised for a CONTINUOUS period of 5 years in order to obtain PR, the 5 year 'clock' would have started anew once you started working again...
Hi Lily,
I have a similar case, however i was first self employed and then working till date. I entered the UK as a EU citizen in August 2009 and started studying full time, while working 20 hrs part time from august 2015 till date. I was not aware of the CSI required(is this required if you are not working only?) Can I apply for Residency from august 2009 to august 2015 as the required five year period?