ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what is sponsor looses his job

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nazz

what is sponsor looses his job

Post by Nazz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:09 pm

Dear All

Question, what if a sponsor who has a wife (on marriage visa for two years) looses his job, can he claim benefits?

Obviously the wife cant as her residency permit states that no resource to public funds.

So can the sponsor claim benefits till he can find another job?

IMMIGRATION LAWYER
United Kingdom

Post by IMMIGRATION LAWYER » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:33 pm

Yes, a sponsor can claim benefits as he is entitled to them. Only additional benefits could not be claimed. That is, benefits for a dependant overseas spouse.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:37 pm

Depends on the nationality of the sponsor.
Jabi

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Docterror wrote:Depends on the nationality of the sponsor.
YEAH In what way?

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:54 pm

SYH wrote:
YEAH In what way?
If the sponsor is on work permit and has been made redundant, then while he may technically seek the contribution based JSA for the 28 days before he finds the next job, he still is not claiming benefits. No other public finds will be allowed.

But if he were EU/EEA, he will be allowed to a lot more funds like child benefits, Invalid care allowance, Disabilty allowance etc without any trouble.
Jabi

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:31 pm

Docterror wrote:
SYH wrote:
YEAH In what way?
If the sponsor is on work permit and has been made redundant, then while he may technically seek the contribution based JSA for the 28 days before he finds the next job, he still is not claiming benefits. No other public finds will be allowed.

But if he were EU/EEA, he will be allowed to a lot more funds like child benefits, Invalid care allowance, Disabilty allowance etc without any trouble.
I think in this case the sponsor is someone with PR/ILR/BC, since his wife is on a spouse visa, so he should have no problems claiming things (for himself, and any children, I think).

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:33 am

sakura wrote:I think in this case the sponsor is someone with PR/ILR/BC, since his wife is on a spouse visa, so he should have no problems claiming things (for himself, and any children, I think).
Highly likely to be correct. But, posters here usually tend to get confused between spouse visa and dependant visa. The dependant spouse of a 2 year WP holder can also say that they are on a 2 year "spouse visa".
Jabi

Nazz

Post by Nazz » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:22 am

allow me to to tp put my quaestion again.

If the sponsor has ILR and his wife is on a two year spouse visa. What if the sponsor looses his job, can he claim job seekers allawonce?

Shan12

Post by Shan12 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:28 pm

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 pm

Nazz wrote:allow me to to tp put my quaestion again.

If the sponsor has ILR and his wife is on a two year spouse visa. What if the sponsor looses his job, can he claim job seekers allawonce?
Yes, if you have ILR you can claim JSA.