ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Netherlands from Ireland with non-EU wife

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Joel32
Newly Registered

Moving to Netherlands from Ireland with non-EU wife

Post by Joel32 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:22 pm

Às the title states, I am moving to the Netherlands to start a new job. I am irish and I am bringing my non-EU wife. Does my wife have to apply for a visa through the Dutch embassy in Ireland? If so, how long does it take and what type of visa is it? Worried that it could take some time to sort the paperwork...

Thanks so much.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Moving to Netherlands from Ireland with non-EU wife

Post by ALKB » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Joel32 wrote:Às the title states, I am moving to the Netherlands to start a new job. I am irish and I am bringing my non-EU wife. Does my wife have to apply for a visa through the Dutch embassy in Ireland? If so, how long does it take and what type of visa is it? Worried that it could take some time to sort the paperwork...

Thanks so much.
She needs to apply for a short term Schengen visa. As she is the spouse of an EEA national and accompanying/joining you, the visa should be issued free of charge and within 15 days. Please note that documents might have to be translated into Dutch. Best to check with the Embassy.

After arrival you have to comply with all the domestic rules regarding residence (registering your address, etc.) and apply for a residence card for family members of EEA nationals, preferably within 90 days of arriving.

The Dutch authorities can then take up to six months for processing this. The residence card is valid for five years after which she can either apply for indefinite leave (if she satisfies the requirements) or apply for another five-year residence card. It also allows unrestricted access to the job market.

Joel32
Newly Registered

Post by Joel32 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:53 pm

ALKB wrote:
Joel32 wrote:Às the title states, I am moving to the Netherlands to start a new job. I am irish and I am bringing my non-EU wife. Does my wife have to apply for a visa through the Dutch embassy in Ireland? If so, how long does it take and what type of visa is it? Worried that it could take some time to sort the paperwork...

Thanks so much.
She needs to apply for a short term Schengen visa. As she is the spouse of an EEA national and accompanying/joining you, the visa should be issued free of charge and within 15 days. Please note that documents might have to be translated into Dutch. Best to check with the Embassy.

After arrival you have to comply with all the domestic rules regarding residence (registering your address, etc.) and apply for a residence card for family members of EEA nationals, preferably within 90 days of arriving.

The Dutch authorities can then take up to six months for processing this. The residence card is valid for five years after which she can either apply for indefinite leave (if she satisfies the requirements) or apply for another five-year residence card. It also allows unrestricted access to the job market.
Thanks for the reply. So when she gets her residence card for family members of EEA nationals, does that visa allow her to travel around the countries as in the Schengen visa? Just asking because we will be quite to close to the German and Belgium borders and it would be quite handy to be able to visit these countries at the weekend etc.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:47 am

Joel32 wrote: Thanks for the reply. So when she gets her residence card for family members of EEA nationals, does that visa allow her to travel around the countries as in the Schengen visa? Just asking because we will be quite to close to the German and Belgium borders and it would be quite handy to be able to visit these countries at the weekend etc.

Yes, she can visit other Schengen countries for up to 90 days.

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:51 pm

As far as translating papers goes, the Dutch authorities accept documents written in Dutch, English, French and German. So if the documents you use to apply are in any of those languages or translated into any of those languages, you should be fine.