ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working while visa applied for

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wtmlive

working while visa applied for

Post by wtmlive » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question.

I have recently applied for a change of sponsorship to UK home office.
My current visa was still valid until September 2015. However I have now resigned from this job and fulfilling my notice period.
I still have yet to receive my new visa.
My question is whether I can work as a locum doctor upto 20 hours per week whilst waiting for my new visa to arrive?
Or is there a restriction on my work until I get a new visa.
I am definitely new to all this and want to make sure I am not breaking any rules.

Thank you!

manci
Respected Guru

Re: working while visa applied for

Post by manci » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:58 pm

you can only take on supplementary employment while you are still working for your current sponsor. Once you get your new visa you can continue working for them until the work start date given in the new CoS.

wtmlive

Post by wtmlive » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:13 pm

@manci
I wanted to do some locum shifts in other hospitals while waiting for my new visa to arrive.
I am allowed to work upto 20 hours over and above my normal work every week.
My new Cos starts on the 2nd Of March but it's unlikely that I can start by then.
Does that mean I cannot work at all after my notice period ends here and when I start a new post?
Can I not do locum shifts at other hospitals while waiting for my new visa to arrive?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:46 pm

The key date is the actual date of termination of your current employment. You are not allowed to engage in supplementary employment after this date and before you start in the new job. Since you already have a new CoS you could apply for your new leave using the same day premium service, then all being well you can start your new job on 2 March which is less than 2 weeks from now.

wtmlive

Post by wtmlive » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:40 pm

manci wrote:you can only take on supplementary employment while you are still working for your current sponsor. Once you get your new visa you can continue working for them until the work start date given in the new CoS.

Your two messaeges seem contradictory.
Last working day is 28th of February and new COS start date is 2nd March. That leaves one day 1st March. Can I work as supplementary employee with my old employer on that day given that I have applied for my new visa or do I have to stop working altogether until I get my new visa?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:32 pm

wtmlive wrote:
manci wrote:you can only take on supplementary employment while you are still working for your current sponsor. Once you get your new visa you can continue working for them until the work start date given in the new CoS.

Your two messaeges seem contradictory.
Last working day is 28th of February and new COS start date is 2nd March. That leaves one day 1st March. Can I work as supplementary employee with my old employer on that day given that I have applied for my new visa or do I have to stop working altogether until I get my new visa?
you can work for your old employer on 1 March but not beyond and you cannot work for the new employer until you get the new visa