ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Correct way of travelling

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raykau

Correct way of travelling

Post by raykau » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Hello

I am scheduled for my British Ceremony this Wednesday (Feb 25th).

I am also scheduled to travel abroad on April 3rd.

What would be the correct way of travelling in this instance.

Should I wait till I come back in April before applying for Passport? And travel with my correct passport and ILR card for the time being. I am apprehensive about applying for my Passport as I am not sure I will be able to get it back in the 5 weeks that there will be left before my travel and even then I will then need to apply for my VISA which would not give me enough time?

Would be grateful to have your thoughts on how to tackle this situation "as per the book" so that I do not break any rules?

zeusmagnanimous

Re: Correct way of travelling

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:47 pm

Once you are British the ILR ceases to exist so strictly speaking you cannot travel on your ILR although some people have reported on the forum that they have done so. Immigration office might ask you all sorts of stupid questions too.
Passport applications are quite quick, 5 weeks should be enough IMO.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:50 pm

I have travelled twice on my ILR between the time I had my ceremony and applied for British passport.
I had certificate with but was not required to show it.
I am sometimes wrong.

raykau

Post by raykau » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Thanks zeusmagnanimous and milan69 for your replies.

I am asking this because the following is what is said on the site

"If you’re applying for your first adult passport, you need to leave at least six weeks, as you may be asked to attend an interview."

So I am not sure that there will be enough time.

I would go ahead and apply but thought about checking if there is any correct way to go about it.

Thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Subject to current nationality laws, I would travel with current passport (and ILR) and apply for British Passport after return.
However you might receive your British passport just in time before travel (assuming you apply immediately after naturalisation).

raykau

Post by raykau » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 pm

ban.s wrote:Subject to current nationality laws, I would travel with current passport (and ILR) and apply for British Passport after return.
However you might receive your British passport just in time before travel (assuming you apply immediately after naturalisation).
Thanks ban.s for your reply. Yes, I would have applied for it but as I am travelling to India even if I get the Passport, I would then have to apply for an Indian visa which would take another week atleast. So I am thinking the best way would be to apply for the Passport immediately upon return.