ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization for Child Born Outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kunal parikh

Naturalization for Child Born Outside UK

Post by kunal parikh » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:55 am

Hi

I have recently applied for my Naturalization on 17th Feb 2015 through NCS Edinburgh and currently waiting for decision.

My wife and child (2.8 years) are on ILR. I would like to know about my child born outside UK.

Do I have to apply for my child's naturalization once I obtain my Naturalization? Do I have to register under section 3(1)? Is it just for the children born inside UK? I am really confused. What is the process for the child born outside UK for obtaining Naturalization? He was born in 2012 and I have obtained ILR through 10 year route in Feb 2014. After than I have converted their status to ILR.

Please advise.

Thanks
Kunal

vinny

Re: Naturalization for Child Born Outside UK

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:35 pm

If you choose to apply for British citizenship for your child, then it will be under Section 3(1).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kunal parikh

Post by kunal parikh » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I just wanted to confirm so we can simply register him under section 3(i)...So there is clearly no difference if the child is born in UK or outside UK at the time claiming naturalization?

I believe we use MN1 form.

Please confirm.

Thanks
Kunal

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:22 pm

After the parents are settled in the UK (ILR or PR or on arrival for Irish citizens);
  • A child born in the UK has an entitlement to registration under Section 1(3).

A child born outside the UK can be registered at the discretion of the Home Office under Section 3(1).
The form to be used in both cases is Form MN.

kunal parikh

Post by kunal parikh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi

Thanks for coming back to me.

One more question please...what are the chances of getting if its home office discretion? is it really easy to get it for child? do they always consider?

Please advise.

Thanks
Kunal

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Typically, the Home Office looks at ensuring that the future of the child is in the UK. Typically, one of the parents should be a British citizen and the other on ILR and both should be settled and have a majority of their estate in the UK.

From your description, it seems you are likely to be successful.

kunal parikh

Post by kunal parikh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:18 pm

thanks for coming back to me.

I will surely do that once I received my naturalization. Do you know most people have got this approval in the case of child?

Thanks
Kunal

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:25 am

kunal parikh wrote:thanks for coming back to me.

I will surely do that once I received my naturalization. Do you know most people have got this approval in the case of child?

Thanks
Kunal
Have a detailed look at this entire thread and look out for Section 3(1) updates. Hope that will answer your question to this forum's extent.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 81180.html

kunal parikh

Post by kunal parikh » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:06 pm

thanks for that.

I have gone through that. I have not seen anybody who has claimed under section 1(3).

Looks like it seems tough to get it approved in that condition.

Is it possible to get more information through NCS?

Thanks
Kunal

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:09 pm

Many many people (my daughter included) have been approved for citizenship under section 3(1). The requirement is that at least one parent must already be British and the other either settled (ILR) or on a route to settlement (ILR) soon.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lily365yang
Newly Registered

Post by lily365yang » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:50 am

I'm still confused. Does that mean the children can't submit MN1 until at least one of the parents is granted British Citizenship? Or the children can submit MN1at the same time when the parents submit their AN application expecting a discretion from HO?

In page 14 of the Guide MN1, it says:

Children born abroad to parents who are applying for British citizenship
"Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or
more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic acquisition of
British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family
application”.
Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion and will
usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already hold British
citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK."

lily365yang
Newly Registered

Post by lily365yang » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:54 am

My case is myself, husband, daughter got ILR Feb 2014. We've been in the UK for more than 10 years but daughter was born outside the UK.

My husband and I am going to submit AN soon but not sure if we can submit MN1 for my daughter at the same time.

Please anyone can help?

Thanks.

kunal parikh

Post by kunal parikh » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi Guys

I have received my approval for naturalisation.

Do I have to wait until I get my passport in order to apply citizenship for my child under MN1 section 3(1)?orI can apply once I do my ceremony?

What documents are required to submit?

Please advise.

Thanks
Kunal

kunal parikh

Post by kunal parikh » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:38 pm

anyone please advise..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:10 pm

once I do my ceremony?
Oiu are only British once you attend the ceremony and receive your certificate which you will need for your childs application.

Please see the children section in the link below, the details are all there :

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... ml#p592355
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lily365yang
Newly Registered

Post by lily365yang » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:02 pm

CR001 wrote:Many many people (my daughter included) have been approved for citizenship under section 3(1). The requirement is that at least one parent must already be British and the other either settled (ILR) or on a route to settlement (ILR) soon.
Hi CR001,

Do you know if the parents can submit naturalization application for the children at the same time as parents application or it's better the children wait until the parents' application get approved?

Thanks.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:43 pm

lily365yang wrote: Do you know if the parents can submit naturalization application for the children at the same time as parents application or it's better the children wait until the parents' application get approved?

Thanks.
If both are on ILR and qualify for Naturalisation, then they may apply for children along with themselves. However their approval is on discretion of Home Office, if they were born outside UK.

Children born in UK are entitled to register once parents get ILR.

During my Naturalisation, I applied for myself and my outside UK born daughter, we both got approved the same day.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.