ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ESOL in Scotland no longer valid if recognised by Ofqual?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

IM314
Newly Registered

ESOL in Scotland no longer valid if recognised by Ofqual?

Post by IM314 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:25 pm

My wife and I took the Trinity College London ESOL for GESE Grade 5 (B1) Speaking and Listening Entry Level 3 at Edinburgh College in September 2014. I remember checking at the time that it would be valid for ILR, and all was well.

We finally booked the appointment at the Glasgow Premium Centre for tomorrow morning, and I have been double-checking all our supporting documents. Tonight, as a final, final, final check, I went through all our documents again and noticed the following in form set(O) (my bold):
Note1
Relevant qualifications are:
• A pass in the test known as the “Life in the UK” test
And one of the following language qualifications:
• A speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above from the Secure English Language
Test (SELT) list.
• An ESOL qualification at Entry Level 3, Level 1 or Level 2 , that includes speaking and
listening which has been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations
Regulation (Ofqual). It must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register and
taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
• A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCFQ) levels 4, 5 or
6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
And when I checked our certificates one last time, I noticed they say "Edinburgh College (SELT Centre)" and at the bottom it shows logos for Trinity, Ofqual, the Welsh Government but most importantly, NOT The SQAF.

It would appear that our test taken in Scotland is no longer valid, and I can see in the Guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _0_EXT.pdf from 14 November 2014 that the following was changed:
Date of change Details of change
17 November 2014 Change request:
 B1 level test:
o new content relating to ESOL
qualifications.
which I take it to be the part about tests taken in Scotland requiring SQA.

I'm hoping that someone (anyone) can give me good news about me misinterpreting this or transitional arrangements this late on a Friday evening, otherwise I'm just going to bite the bullet tomorrow and forfeit the 2x£100 booking fees by cancelling the appointment on the day, booking another test for us for 2x£145 in Glasgow and trying again next month. Luckily we still have until August under our current leave to remain, otherwise this would have been a disaster!

IM314
Newly Registered

Re: ESOL in Scotland no longer valid if recognised by Ofqual

Post by IM314 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:55 am

Update: There are transitional arrangements in place: If the certificate was issued by Trinity College London before 6 April 2015 (as ours were), it's still valid for visa applications up to 5 November 2015 no matter where it was written. See the very last page of the first document here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests