ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

'Degree taught in English' requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aneil

'Degree taught in English' requirement

Post by aneil » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi there,

I'm planning to apply for ILR visa for my wife (PBS dependant + FLR(M) (Spouse visa).

Degrees taught or researched in English
You’ll need to prove your degree was both:
1. taught or researched in English
2. confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK

I've come across the above statements on the GOV website (https://www.gov.uk/english-language) that the above 2 proofs are needed. We do have a letter from the college that degree was taught in English.

I just wanted to confirm that I need to take a letter from NARIC for sure since I didn't have to furnish this when applied in 2012.

Thanks for your time!
Aneil

safatafa
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: 'Degree taught in English' requirement

Post by safatafa » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Gurus please advice looks like they are asking for naric even though u get points via pbs calculator

taught or researched in English
confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK
You’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

spzenthil

Post by spzenthil » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:13 pm

You don't need the NARIC letter. If the degree is recognized in PBS calculator that is more than enough and if you have letter from university that's a bonus as well.

Thanks,
-Senthil

cfdman

Post by cfdman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:34 pm

You don't need the NARIC letter. If the degree is recognized in PBS calculator that is more than enough and if you have letter from university that's a bonus as well.
I second that. I did use PBS printout and degree certificate and it was accepted.

aneil

Post by aneil » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks cfdman and spzenthil for confirming

Can I produce point based calculator as this application is my wife's who was a Tier 1 Dependant?

This is what confused me initially, please see below

1. a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
2. an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
3. an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

safatafa
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by safatafa » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:40 pm

taught or researched in English
confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK

a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

the above seems converning i hope you guys are right, it says both previously didnt!

cfdman

Post by cfdman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:08 pm

This is what confused me initially, please see below

No confusuon here. You need to prove the following
a) The degree you hold is equivalent to UK bachelor degree
b) The degree is taught/researched in english.

Now, to prove the above two points, you may need to access the PBS calculator as Tier-1 migrant (pretend that you are inside the UK and trying to extend your Tier-1G visa). Even, if you are a Tier-2 migrant or a dependent of Tier 1/2 migrant, you can do this.
If your degree scores atleast 30 points for "Qualification" and 10 points for english language. just print the PBS summary at the end. Thats it.

Note: If your bachelor degree returns 0 points for qualification, then try to adjust the "Date of first successful entry clearance" in the PBS calculator to a date on year 2009. You may explain your intentions in the "Additional information" section, so that the case worker can be aware that why you used Tier-1G PBS self-assessment (This is optional, and just for your peace of mind).

Can I produce point based calculator as this application is my wife's who was a Tier 1 Dependant?
Yes. Do the same. I did that it was accepted

aneil

Post by aneil » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks for your reply cfdman

ashu.doc
- thin ice -

Post by ashu.doc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:41 pm

spzenthil wrote:You don't need the NARIC letter. If the degree is recognized in PBS calculator that is more than enough and if you have letter from university that's a bonus as well.

Thanks,
-Senthil
How do you mean by PBS calculator print out? Where can I access it for dependant? Because when I use the PBS calculator from ukba it only shows categories like tier 1, 2 , 5 and 5 but no dependant.

thanks
ASH

cfdman

Post by cfdman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Read the above comments.

For PBS dependent too, access the Tier-1 option and proceed.

ashu.doc
- thin ice -

Post by ashu.doc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:59 pm

cfdman wrote:Read the above comments.

For PBS dependent too, access the Tier-1 option and proceed.
Great thanks!

aneil

Post by aneil » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Can I just check whether Set M is the right application form for ILR for my wife who entered UK as a Tier 1 dependant visa and then extended as Spouse visa (FLR(M))?