ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Countersigning passport applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

navodwickra

Countersigning passport applications

Post by navodwickra » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:17 am

I was wondering, could my previous landlord countersign my application as she has worked as a civil servant for more than 20 years. Only doubt I have is we lived in the same address since Feb 2011 to Nov 2012. According to rules applicant and the person who countersign can not live at the same address. Doesn't say anything about previous addresses.

Thanks
Navod

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Re: Countersigning passport applications

Post by Mauser1905 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:25 am

If you read correctly, if you haven't lived at your present address for 3 years then you have to mention previous address.

This applies for counter signatory as well and counter signatory has to add this information on page 13 on MN1 and believe page 14 of AN1, where the blank page is provided for additional information.

However at the time of application, (which I assume in coming days) you and counter signatory are living at different addresses? If this is correct then IMHO I don't see much of an issue. That's my view only.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 am

navodwickra wrote:I was wondering, could my previous landlord countersign my application as she has worked as a civil servant for more than 20 years. Only doubt I have is we lived in the same address since Feb 2011 to Nov 2012. According to rules applicant and the person who countersign can not live at the same address. Doesn't say anything about previous addresses.
As you say the requirements for the counter signatory states that he/she cannot be...

A) related by birth or marriage
B) be in a relationship or live at the same address as the person applying

As you are no longer living at the same address as your previous landlord this technically should not be an issue or reason for conflict of interest. However personally I'd select a different counter signatory if available in the event that it did come up as an issue - but that's just me. I see the previous poster has a different view...

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:54 am

Mauser1905 wrote:If you read correctly, if you haven't lived at your present address for 3 years then you have to mention previous address.

This applies for counter signatory as well and counter signatory has to add this information on page 13 on MN1 and believe page 14 of AN1, where the blank page is provided for additional information.

However at the time of application, (which I assume in coming days) you and counter signatory are living at different addresses? If this is correct then IMHO I don't see much of an issue. That's my view only.
Thanks a lot for that. I have to include her address as one of my past addresses and she has been living there for more than 20 years I guess. I think I'll add her because we don't live at the same address anymore and I have changed my address twice after moving from that address. Thanks again.

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:55 am

cs95tdg wrote:
navodwickra wrote:I was wondering, could my previous landlord countersign my application as she has worked as a civil servant for more than 20 years. Only doubt I have is we lived in the same address since Feb 2011 to Nov 2012. According to rules applicant and the person who countersign can not live at the same address. Doesn't say anything about previous addresses.
As you say the requirements for the counter signatory states that he/she cannot be...

A) related by birth or marriage
B) be in a relationship or live at the same address as the person applying

As you are no longer living at the same address as your previous landlord this technically should not be an issue or reason for conflict of interest. However personally I'd select a different counter signatory if available in the event that it did come up as an issue - but that's just me. I see the previous poster has a different view...
Thanks a lot for the reply. Given the amount of time I have I think I have to go with her. Technically it shouldn't be a problem because we don't live at the same address.

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:09 am

I called HMPO yesterday and they confirmed I can actually use someone who I have lived with and not currently living with. I will send my application this week and I will let you know how it goes.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks for this information and good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.