ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can get an extension even though eligible for ILR?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

thikkals
Newly Registered

can get an extension even though eligible for ILR?

Post by thikkals » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi All,
I am in the UK on Tier-1 Since September 2010. My current Tier-1 is valid till September 2015 and I will be eligible to apply for ILR in sep 2015. However, due to some personal circumstances I am thinking of taking some time off in August/September 2015 . so I might not in the UK in Sep 2015 .

As there are no more Tier-1 extensions after 05-April 2015 the best option for me is to get another extension now. If I get an extension for another 2/3 years now , I dont need to worry about being in UK and applying for ILR in Sep 2015.

Does anyone know if I am eligible to apply for another extension now? Will they deny me an extension becausse I am eligible for ILR when my current visa expires.

thanks in advance for our replies

Thanks
ST

pranav.vaidya

Re: can get an extension even though eligible for ILR?

Post by pranav.vaidya » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi,

I'm in similar situation too, could someone on the forum help clarify this, please.

Thanks.

mr_mar

Post by mr_mar » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:29 am

They cannot know if you are eligible for ILR as you have to provide also the absences days count and the life in the UK exam certificate.

So if you apply for an extension and you have all the requirements there should be no issues at all.

pranav.vaidya

Post by pranav.vaidya » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:35 am

It's very logical, should have thought about it :oops:
Thanks mr_mar.

thikkals
Newly Registered

Post by thikkals » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:06 am

thank you.

has anyone been successfull with a similar application? ( just double checking for the peace of mind before making the application)

Thanks
ST
Last edited by thikkals on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr_mar

Post by mr_mar » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:22 pm

I am eligible for ILR but I have issues with the absence days which means i have to wait a bit.
I just applied for a renewal and I got it.

hsmp_apr2010

Post by hsmp_apr2010 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:03 pm

I am in similar situation. I am eligible for ILR in June 2015.

I'm still planning for second extension for peace of mind and also cover for any emergency situations arising in June as I don't have any buffer (visa expiring in June 2015).

I'm going for my PEO application very soon. Recently I have been thinking if they will be bothered about the fact why I am extending when I am eligible for ILR. But if I think practically I can't think of any reason why they should be?

Seniors could you advise please?

basicblue2k
Ireland

Post by basicblue2k » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:12 pm

hi guys, I have been calling Home office and they seem to tell me that they would not provide extension unnecessarily.

i.e. unless you have long absence or entered the country late..

I am quite curious to know what is happening in reality.

hsmp_apr2010

Post by hsmp_apr2010 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:49 pm

basicblue2k wrote:hi guys, I have been calling Home office and they seem to tell me that they would not provide extension unnecessarily.

i.e. unless you have long absence or entered the country late..

I am quite curious to know what is happening in reality.
Hi,

Please could you provide me the number you are calling?

Did anybody recently had success with their extension even though they were eligible for ILR?

According to policy document

"Tier 1 (General) extensions will be granted for either three years or the balance the applicant needs to take their time granted in the category to five years, whichever is longer."

So in any case 3 years must be granted?

Gurus would you like to comment on this?

basicblue2k
Ireland

Post by basicblue2k » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:39 pm

"Tier 1 (General) extensions will be granted for either three years or the balance the applicant needs to take their time granted in the category to five years, whichever is longer."

the above statement hints that the extension is to achieve your 5 years stay. If you are eligible for ILR with 5 years stay with an existing extension, should they give another extension?

Home Office Contact details:

Telephone: 0300 123 2241
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4.45pm
Friday, 9am to 4.30pm

sprof
Newly Registered

Post by sprof » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:41 pm

My 2nd extension was aporoved on 14th of March, even though I am eligible for ILR in June - no absences.
They do not check your elgibility for ILR when extending Tier1

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:21 am

Even if you are eligible for ILR they have no right stopping you from extending the current VISA. At the end of the day you are not doing anything illegal and they make more money from you. So it's a win win situation :D

hsmp_apr2010

Post by hsmp_apr2010 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:03 pm

sprof wrote:My 2nd extension was aporoved on 14th of March, even though I am eligible for ILR in June - no absences.
They do not check your elgibility for ILR when extending Tier1
Hi Sprof,

Thanks for the updates and congratulations...
Also which PEO centre did you apply in? Please could you post your visa dates?

sprof
Newly Registered

Post by sprof » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:18 pm

Croydon

14/03/2015 (date of application) - 14/03/2018

hsmp_apr2010

Post by hsmp_apr2010 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:46 am

I got my Tier 1 G second extension approved without any questions. So mates don't worry, if you want go ahead and apply for your extensions even if you are eligible for ILR...

sagareva
BANNED

Post by sagareva » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:15 pm

you can get an extension any time you want, you can apply for extensions every month for all they care. and you are certainly under no obligation to apply for ILR ever, if you don't want to. It is none of their business.

and never call the Home Office helpline to ask questions. these people answering phones there, have got much less idea about anything than you do.
**Please note, you can no longer contact me by PM because owners of this board accused me of using it to recruit clients, and disabled my ability to read and send PMs.**

khan_80
Pakistan

Post by khan_80 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:30 pm

sagareva wrote:you can get an extension any time you want, you can apply for extensions every month for all they care. and you are certainly under no obligation to apply for ILR ever, if you don't want to. It is none of their business.

and never call the Home Office helpline to ask questions. these people answering phones there, have got much less idea about anything than you do.
Hi Sagareva
I have current valid visa till 2017 Feb, but due to stay outside can't apply ILR until that time, Can I apply for Tier1 Extension before 5th April to get another 3 years visa. As some one told me that I have current valid visa of 2 years so can't get extension.

if some one has an example of this please share me.

thanks

hsmp_apr2010

Post by hsmp_apr2010 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:32 am

I don't think there is any issue there. The only think to be aware of is you will get visa from your application date and not the visa expiry date. So effectively you will get another year extension. I guess this is because they are closing ILR in 2018.