ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - returning to UK after 23mths away.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PazCS
Newly Registered

ILR - returning to UK after 23mths away.

Post by PazCS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:57 am

Hi.

I was granted ILR in early 2012 and in Mid 2013 I had to leave the UK and return to Australia after my father was diagnosed with progressive Multiple Sclerosis. So naturally I had to come back and help my family with his diagnosis and adapting to all the changes that the condition brought on.

I'm planning on returning home to the UK, permanently, at the end of April, and on the date of my planned return I will have been outside of the UK for 1 year 11 months - 1 year 11 months and 2 days to be exact.

I've read that I can return on my ILR if I've been away for less than 2 years, which I have, but I'm wondering if I'll face any problems at the border? I've not returned to the UK at all in this period, I've been in Australia the whole time dealing with my fathers medical issues and undertaking some study - a short diploma course in IT. Will I need any proof to show why I've been away for so long?

Also, on the date of my planned return my passport will have exactly 6 months validity left on it, will this be a problem at all? Or should I renew my passport before leaving for the UK?

I'm a little stressed about all of this, it's been a pretty terrible last few months for me and I just want to be sure that I'll be able to go home without too much trouble.

Thanks for your help.

navodwickra

Re: ILR - returning to UK after 23mths away.

Post by navodwickra » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:40 am

PazCS wrote:Hi.

I was granted ILR in early 2012 and in Mid 2013 I had to leave the UK and return to Australia after my father was diagnosed with progressive Multiple Sclerosis. So naturally I had to come back and help my family with his diagnosis and adapting to all the changes that the condition brought on.

I'm planning on returning home to the UK, permanently, at the end of April, and on the date of my planned return I will have been outside of the UK for 1 year 11 months - 1 year 11 months and 2 days to be exact.

I've read that I can return on my ILR if I've been away for less than 2 years, which I have, but I'm wondering if I'll face any problems at the border? I've not returned to the UK at all in this period, I've been in Australia the whole time dealing with my fathers medical issues and undertaking some study - a short diploma course in IT. Will I need any proof to show why I've been away for so long?

Also, on the date of my planned return my passport will have exactly 6 months validity left on it, will this be a problem at all? Or should I renew my passport before leaving for the UK?

I'm a little stressed about all of this, it's been a pretty terrible last few months for me and I just want to be sure that I'll be able to go home without too much trouble.

Thanks for your help.
Your passport is still valid for travelling so no problem there. I think you might have to explain to them why you were outside the UK for so long (however your ILR is still valid). I would suggest you to take some medical records as evidence so you can convince them that you had a genuine reason.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Make sure that you were absent for less than 2 years.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

PazCS
Newly Registered

Post by PazCS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks for the replies.

I'll definitely be back before the 2 years is up so that's not a problem. Our tickets were booked and we're 1 month away from that deadline.

I'll bring with me my academic transcripts to prove I was studying, and a letter from my father stating his illness and that I was here helping to care for him - he won't give me anything from his doctor or any medical records unfortunately because he doesn't want people knowing his business :?

I think I'll also bring some stuff to back up that this is a permanent move, I'm importing my dog so I'll bring copies of those papers, and husbands entire family live in Scotland so I'll bring something to prove that too.

Thanks again.