ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Contact Home Office?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

klmacko

Contact Home Office?

Post by klmacko » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:53 pm

Can I contact the Home Office about my Work Permit? My "Employeer" who submitted my work permit over a month ago is on holiday for a long period of time, and I want to check my status. If I'm allowed to contact them, does anyone have an email address for the contact? THX

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Yes there is a general enquiry number on the website or call the main home office number 0207 0354848 and then select option to be put through to Work Permits.

Biggie

Post by Biggie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:52 pm

See this link: http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... views.html

Work Permit Applications and Reviews - Progress Enquiries

23 July 2007

Work Permit Business Teams are receiving an increasing number of calls asking for an update on the progress of applications within a few days of us receiving them. We aim to decide 70% of work permit applications within 5 working days, 90% within 15 working days and to let you have a decision on a review request within 15 working days.

You will therefore either receive a decision letter or a request for further information within a week of us receiving your work permit application. To help us provide the best possible service, you are advised not to contact Work Permit Business Teams to check the progress of your application until at least 7 days after submitting it. Please do not contact the Reviews Team until at least 3 weeks after submitting your request.

General enquires should be directed to the Customer Contact Centre on 0114 207 4074.

klmacko

Post by klmacko » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:28 pm

Actually, when I called they said I'm not aloud to call them and ask about it. Are others finding out their status other ways?

BTW - I know the website just posted:

There are currently some delays in the processing of work permit applications of up to 8 working days.
Review requests are currently taking up to 6 weeks to process

I have been waiting over 8 weeks.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:31 pm

They are not supposed to give decisions over the phone.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

klmacko

Post by klmacko » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:33 pm

OK. I was just wondering how to find out about status and the one member told me I could call. oh well.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:02 pm

klmacko wrote:OK. I was just wondering how to find out about status and the one member told me I could call. oh well.
Its because its your employers application in a way not yours, i am sure if employer rings them they will be able to update them although i agree as above they cant give the decsion over the phone.
Magsi

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:35 pm

Actually, when I called they said I'm not aloud to call them and ask about it
They won't tell you because it isn't your application. They will give decisions about work permits to the employer over the phone, but not when it is still 'with a manager' ie there is a recommended decision but it hasn't been approved by a manger.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:14 pm

PaperPusher wrote:
They won't tell you because it isn't your application. They will give decisions about work permits to the employer over the phone, but not when it is still 'with a manager' ie there is a recommended decision but it hasn't been approved by a manger.
This is not true. They can discuss the case with the applicant, but they are not supposed to give decisions to anyone over the phone.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

klmacko

Post by klmacko » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:03 pm

Well, maybe I got someone who was just overwhelmed and didn't want to talk to me, because I specifically asked if I could find out the "status" of my application (not decision). She said "We can not discuss the application with you". I'll just patiently wait a little longer I guess :)

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:06 pm

VictoriaS wrote:This is not true. They can discuss the case with the applicant, but they are not supposed to give decisions to anyone over the phone.
It is true :shock:

You are right that they will discuss the case with the applicant. But they won't discuss the case with the person that the employer wants to employ, they are not the applicant, the employer is the applicant. There is a reason why the internal caseworker guidance for work permits uses the term 'Overseas National' instead of using the term 'the applicant' as you see in the IDIs, it is the employer who is the applicant.

I know that business teams will tell the employer, or the employer's representative, the decision on the phone. In fact, if you call up and chase the business team, they may even ring back with the decision when the case is closed. Try it with one of your outstanding WP applications.

It is the HSMP teams that will not normally give the decision on the phone or by e-mail.

:evil:

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:45 am

The can discuss some details of the case with the overseas national.

And I know that they sometimes give decisions over the phone - I have been going this for nearly 10 years - but they are not supposed to. Even with representatives!

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:47 pm

They are reluctant to discuss refusals, and the reason(s) for refusal, over the phone until the person has got the letter, but not approvals.

Why do you think that they are not supposed to anwer the employer's/representative's query about a work permit application? Work permits, which is now just BIA but still the same people, has always worked in a way that is more accessible and open than other sections of the Home Office, IMO anyway.

If you have been doing this for nearly 10 years, they should even recognise your voice by now!

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:07 pm

PaperPusher wrote:They are reluctant to discuss refusals, and the reason(s) for refusal, over the phone until the person has got the letter, but not approvals.

Why do you think that they are not supposed to anwer the employer's/representative's query about a work permit application? Work permits, which is now just BIA but still the same people, has always worked in a way that is more accessible and open than other sections of the Home Office, IMO anyway.

If you have been doing this for nearly 10 years, they should even recognise your voice by now!
There is a BIG turnover of staff in Sheffield. Back in the old days, when it was part of the DFEE, we knew everyone there, but not any more.

They are supposed to answer queries, they are just not allowed to give decisions, which I think is reasonable.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 pm

If you can avoid calling the Home Office, the better, since they are already overwhelmed. As to getting good advice and info, it is the luck of the draw, sometimes you get somone who know exactly how it works and give you some really prime info, and others just repeat what is already stated on the website without any insight whatsoever so have to call again and again.