ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP - Health insurance

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vishal_t
Newly Registered

HSMP - Health insurance

Post by vishal_t » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:03 am

Hi Guys,

Can anyone let me know the insurance concept in UK for HSMP workers - non EU.

I am entering UK later this month with my wife and infant -so would you advise me to take a health insurance post arrival or before ? Any pointers / references to good insurers are appreciated.

And what would be the appx. costs involved in a basic / extensive cover?

Thanks a lot in advance..
-Vishal

fareedbaig

Post by fareedbaig » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:15 am

Vishal,

You need to register with NHS (National Health Service) once you land up in UK, this will help you in covering all your medical needs in UK. Enrolling into NHS will take around 6 weeks.

NHS services are not billed to the patient, to an insurer or to the government, as happens in most other health systems around the world. Costs are met directly from general taxation.

If you want to take medical cover for initial few months till you get enrolled with NHS then you can go for international Medical insurance cover (Contact any locak insurance agency for this).

Thanks,
Fareed

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: HSMP - Health insurance

Post by pantaiema » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:45 pm

If you just need medical service provide by the states, U do not need health insureance, and it is free. All U need is that once U arrive in the UK, U registes to NHS doctor.

But od course if U could take private doctor cover by insurance if U want
vishal_t wrote:Hi Guys,

Can anyone let me know the insurance concept in UK for HSMP workers - non EU.

I am entering UK later this month with my wife and infant -so would you advise me to take a health insurance post arrival or before ? Any pointers / references to good insurers are appreciated.

And what would be the appx. costs involved in a basic / extensive cover?

Thanks a lot in advance..
-Vishal
Pantaiema

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Enrolling into NHS will take around 6 weeks.
I don't think that is right. You go to a GP's surgery and join. You are in the NHS! Immediately!
John

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:20 pm

this is also my personal experience
John wrote:
Enrolling into NHS will take around 6 weeks.
I don't think that is right. You go to a GP's surgery and join. You are in the NHS! Immediately!
Pantaiema

antony

Post by antony » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:20 am

That was a real useful information.
If the opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:12 am

You can use services oh NHS the moment you see your GP for the first time for filling a form and basic medical screening. 6 weeks is the time, it takes for them to mal you the NHS card.

Private medical care is very costly here, but NHS provides a qite comprehensive and decent healthcare service.

Kind regards,

push_hsmp

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:27 am

6 weeks is the time, it takes for them to mail you the NHS card.
OK, but that does not mean that, as fareedbaig said "Enrolling into NHS will take around 6 weeks." As from the moment you sign up at the GP's surgery you are entitled to use all NHS services. Indeed it could be argued that you have that right as soon as you land in the UK.

Hopefully all this is just theoretical and will never happen in practice ..... someone flying into the UK on a visa issued because of HSMP, for example, has a suspected heart attack on the plane and on landing at the UK airport is taken straight to hospital. Pretty clear to me that they would be treated by the NHS free of charge.

Compared to ... same scenario, except the person has a visitor's visa .... most certainly a chargeable event.
John

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:14 am

You are right John and this is what I meant.

Incidentally, I fell sick almost immediately after coming to London. Fortunately I had my NHS registration appointment with a surgery coming up soon. I was given a prescription on the day of registration itself. Not just that, on request the surgery issues a letter on the same day saying that you are now registered at their surgery (I needed the same for opening a loan account with a bank).

The NHS card came 4 weeks later.

I agree with you on the visitor visa scenario.

kind regards,

push_hsmp

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Even if you are not enrolled, they can see you urgently if necessary. I had that issue where i was enrolled elsewhere but needed to see someone due to an eye issue. In any case, the nurse asked how was I going to pay, I told her I am resident so I am covered. She didn't even blink twice and ask for proof. They are entitled to ask so if your passport has a resident sticker, then they will see you if necessary before you are registered.

marupa

NI

Post by marupa » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:48 pm

Hi Could any one tell me the cost of applying for National Insurance once I land in UK

SYH
BANNED

Re: NI

Post by SYH » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:00 pm

marupa wrote:Hi Could any one tell me the cost of applying for National Insurance once I land in UK
Please reread the thread

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi Could any one tell me the cost of applying for National Insurance once I land in UK
Do you mean the cost of applying for a National Insurance number? If that is what you mean, the cost is .... nothing!

And neither is there a cost for registering with the National Health Service.
John