ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Facebook Accounts Checked by Case Worker

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tier1o

Facebook Accounts Checked by Case Worker

Post by tier1o » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:29 am

Dear All

I came to know through offline resources that the case worker (in some cases) might also check your facebook activity. For example, if you have shared anti-govt content or comments, it might go against you.

It is advisable when you are living in a country you should respect the rules, and avoid activities which goes against the state, afterall signing the form you are confirming not exceeding the limits set by the lawmakers.

Deactivating your facebook account before extension is another option in hand.

I hope you all find this useful.

Regards

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Re: Facebook Accounts Checked by Case Worker

Post by abhisheks9 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks for info, but may I know from what source you got this info?
Disclaimer: This post does not contain legal advice

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Gov Orgs like GCHQ always does that. Also I have seen plenty of Immigration FB groups. where people post rubbish and anti govt remarks

If the admin of the FB groups are also on IMMI Boards, I'd suggest them to be careful and moderate posts

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:54 pm

To the OP: Can you give us some indication of who your offline sources are? Otherwise, this thread seems to me to be scaremongering and importing mistrust of the government, which is more likely overseas than in this country.

We know that GCHQ and the Secret Services do monitor electronic communication. But that is to monitor communication relating to terrorism and violent activities, not "anti-govt content or comments", whatever that may be. The Green party in the UK wants to get rid of the monarchy and the establishment and that is out in the open. It is certainly "anti-govt" and a perfectly legal political party taking part in the General Election this year.

Even if a caseworker were to visit your Facebook page, they should not allow anything there that they disliked to decide whether to grant you a visa or not. They have to base their decisions on the rules and give it in writing. Unless you have recently "liked" Daesh, you need not be afraid.

At another level, if the caseworker can view your Facebook page that easily, you really need to finetune your Facebook permission and settings.

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:33 pm

I know this through a friend, and he knows the person whose application was rejected based on his social media activities. Unfortunately, I don't have any further information on the subject; I was quite surprised as well at the time;
secret.simon wrote:To the OP: Can you give us some indication of who your offline sources are? Otherwise, this thread seems to me to be scaremongering and importing mistrust of the government, which is more likely overseas than in this country.
it is not a scaremongering post but a fact and information which I thought would be useful to many readers. Also if the purpose was to promote mistrust; why would I emphasised on respecting the law? simon you definitely gone in the wrong direction.

Cheers