ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in the Netherlands

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dutch_beauty
Newly Registered

Working in the Netherlands

Post by dutch_beauty » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:41 am

Okay, I'm Canadian and my boyfriend is Dutch (lives in Den Haag, Nederland). I plan to move there pretty soon to live with him. I understand that once we have been married 3 years I can apply for Dutch citizenship through naturalization. I am correct? Also I would like to work over there as an English teacher. Anyone know how I may go about doing that?

Any comments would be a great help!
Thank you!

-Britske

iza
Newly Registered

did you get your permit???

Post by iza » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:41 am

Hi, I was in the same situation. Went to join my Dutch boyfriend in Dec 2003 and did all applications but was rejected. In January 2004, laws had changed where marriage wasn't an option anymore...

Was wandering if you were able to get your stay and permit in NL?

PS: I was kicked back to Canada :(

Let me know how it went for you...

edamame
Newly Registered

married to a Dutch citizen

Post by edamame » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:10 am

I'm married to a Dutch citizen and am only allowed in NL as a tourist. It's true that you are allowed to apply for a Dutch passport after 3 years of marriage, but it's not automatically granted (as the IND is happy to tell me). Unforuntately there is a wave of xenophobia over NL now and it has one of the most strict immigration policies in Europe. The laws changed to requre a minimum income standard and a 12-month employment contract of the Dutch spouse to keep spouses off welfare. The income standard isn't hard to get, but the contract is a problem because the economy isn't strong. My DH is recent college grad when we married, and didn't have his career started yet so the contract was the sticking point. Thus I'm still a tourist when I come every year to NL. Check the IND's website for the current specs.

You might try relocating to Belgium, which we are doing next year. They don't have such strict immigration standards, and the north of the country (the wealthiest part) speaks Dutch/Flemish so your partner can easily work there. Your local embassy/consul doen'st have the most up-to-date answers: the burgerzaken or the vremedelingen polizei does. Check with BE immigration. (Please don't PM me for the answers. I don't know tham all, and I'm too busy to check this site often.)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:41 am

Edamame wrote:You might try relocating to Belgium, which we are doing next year.
As a (presumably) non-EEA national, married to a Dutch citizen, when you move to Belgium you should apply for a Belgian-issued EEA Family Permit. That will confirm that you have the same rights to live and work in Belgium as your husband, an EEA Citizen.
John

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:43 am

John wrote:
Edamame wrote:You might try relocating to Belgium, which we are doing next year.
As a (presumably) non-EEA national, married to a Dutch citizen, when you move to Belgium you should apply for a Belgian-issued EEA Family Permit. That will confirm that you have the same rights to live and work in Belgium as your husband, an EEA Citizen.

Although not necessarily with access to permanent residence or citizenship in Belgium (depending on what Belgian law says).

bash_h

Post by bash_h » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:28 pm

Britske,

Defenately consider the Belgian option, the Dutch immigration isnt worth the hassle. You will get a 5 year permit to work & live in Belgium. After the 5 years are over, you will be able to renew this permit quite easily. However Im not sure about permanent residence.

All the best.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:22 pm

Also consider the UK option. Under current legislation permanent residence ("ILR") will be given after living and working for four years in the UK, and British Naturalisation could be applied for a year after that.

In it possible that the four years mentioned above might become five years. The start date for that is uncertain.
John

edamame
Newly Registered

Post by edamame » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:59 am

Thanks John & JAJ. John, we are working on that now. JAJ, good point on the passport but I am not trying to get a Belgian passport. I am entitled to a Dutch one after 3 years of marriage and it would be a moot point to try to acquire a Belgian one after that, based on residence. One EU passport is enough IMO.