ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement/Candidate ID

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MrDodge
Newly Registered

English Language Requirement/Candidate ID

Post by MrDodge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:32 pm

My wife is applying for British citizenship as the wife of a UK citizen, and I'm not clear on the Language Requirement.

She has a First Certificate in English level B2, Grade B from from August 2006. She has the accompanying Statement of Results with all modules at a sufficient standard, however she no longer has the Candidate ID number and Candidate's secret number. The exam board says she should contact the test centre. The test centre says they don't keep these numbers for more than 2 years.

She passed her life in the UK test on 28 November 2012. She was awarded Indefinite Leave to Remain on 9 April 2013. At the time, the Life in the UK test was also sufficient to satisfy the language requirement, so it didn't matter that she didn't have the candidate number.

So....I think this means that the First Certificate in English wouldn't be accepted because she doesn't have the First Certificate in English and has no means of obtaining it. She can't tick the box in section 1.22 saying that she met the language requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013, because ILR was awarded prior to this date.

Therefore she has to take the test again - so good bye £150. is this correct?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: English Language Requirement/Candidate ID

Post by fwd079 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Sadly true.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

Torex

Post by Torex » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:15 pm

She has a First Certificate in English level B2, Grade B from from August 2006. She has the accompanying Statement of Results with all modules at a sufficient standard, however she no longer has the Candidate ID number and Candidate's secret number. The exam board says she should contact the test centre. The test centre says they don't keep these numbers for more than 2 years.
Hello fwd079,

I had the same problem as you. I had FCE certificate without candidate ID and secret number that was issued 2006. I called the exam centre at which I took the exam. They said they don't keep these details for such a long time. However she said that University of Cambridge keeps all the data for all issued certificates. UoC doesn't provide such details directly. So what I had to do was sending a formal email request to the office I took the exam at, to contact University of Cambridge in order, to provide such details. The UoC replied to the exam centre and I got these details soon after that.
That's why I recommend you to do the same.
Any more questions let me know.

MrDodge
Newly Registered

Post by MrDodge » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 am

Hello fwd079,

I had the same problem as you. I had FCE certificate without candidate ID and secret number that was issued 2006. I called the exam centre at which I took the exam. They said they don't keep these details for such a long time. However she said that University of Cambridge keeps all the data for all issued certificates. UoC doesn't provide such details directly. So what I had to do was sending a formal email request to the office I took the exam at, to contact University of Cambridge in order, to provide such details. The UoC replied to the exam centre and I got these details soon after that.
interesting, I'll give it a try. I called the Home Office helpline, and they insisted that the candidate ID and secret number weren't actually needed. It was even queried with the supervisor on this specific point. This begs the question, why put it on the document, if its not actually required...

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:03 am

Torex wrote:
Hello fwd079,

I think you were addressing MrDodge. :)

Anyway, please click here for a full list for new regulations regarding English tests etc.
From the same link:
Anyone who has taken a previously approved test on or before 5th April 2015 may still use it in a UK immigration application until 5th November 2015 providing the test is one of those detailed in the Transitional Approved Tests list which can be found at this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.