ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

need help regarding council tax and Gp

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kentish

need help regarding council tax and Gp

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:07 pm

hello,

i have to apply for British Citizenship in a couple of days .I got an indefinite visa on 10 year long residency base at the moment.I have two points if someone could help me out, thanks

1- Do i have to get any fitness letter from my Gp?

2- And secondly, I just got rented one room in 5 bedroom house, but landlord is not paying council tax because he said the people living in this house will have to pay council tax and at the moment only i live in this house.just want to know that how important council tax for my application? Do I have to start paying council tax or Ho won't check?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: need help regarding council tax and Gp

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:09 pm

1. No

2. How long have you lived there and have you notified council or received a council tax statement in your name?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Your landlord is correct, the responsibility is yours.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:40 pm

The question is, if you dont pay council tax, your application might be refused?

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:57 pm

CR001 wrote:1. No

2. How long have you lived there and have you notified council or received a council tax statement in your name?
I have been living there for last 2 months and still did not notify the council and also did not receive any notice. thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:14 pm

It's your legal responsibility to notify the council. They can't issue you with a bill if they don't know you're living there. I'd strongly advise you to do this before applying for BC. You should be entitled to a single person discount.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Are you renting one room only?? Will the other rooms be rented out to other tenants? Is it a licenced HMO?

Perhaps you need to clarify the above with your landlord re council tax for an HMO and confirm what your tenancy agreement says.

But agree with Casa though.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:29 pm

CR001 wrote:Are you renting one room only?? Will the other rooms be rented out to other tenants? Is it a licenced HMO?

Perhaps you need to clarify the above with your landlord re council tax for an HMO and confirm what your tenancy agreement says.

Yes, I rented one room and this is a 5 bedroom house and only one more tenant lives in another room and 3 rooms are vacant. Before only student were living there thatswhy landlord never pay tax and now we two people living here and i have no idea how much tax gonna be?

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:44 pm

CR001 wrote:Are you renting one room only?? Will the other rooms be rented out to other tenants? Is it a licenced HMO?

Yes, I am renting a room and only one more rented out of five and i have no idea about license, but my landlord say that the tenant will be liable for tax and i am just worried about that its a 5 bedroom house and only two people live here if tax come in my name, then do i have to pay all 5 bedroom tax or only one room tax? thanks

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Casa wrote:It's your legal responsibility to notify the council. They can't issue you with a bill if they don't know you're living there. I'd strongly advise you to do this before applying for BC. You should be entitled to a single person discount.
Cause its a 5 bedroom house and tax gona be very high and only 2 people live there I am just wondering that I have to pay 5 bedroom tax or only one room tax?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:50 pm

kentish wrote:I rented one room and this is a 5 bedroom house and only one more tenant lives in another room and 3 rooms are vacant. Before only student were living there thatswhy landlord never pay tax and now we two people living here and i have no idea how much tax gonna be?
I suspect what you are describing is a house share where individual rooms are rented out independently. As it's no longer a student household, council tax will need to be paid by the occupants. FYI: it is the occupants of the property who are liable to pay council tax, not the landlord. If you have already confirmed your tenancy agreement then I suggest you discuss how you are going to split the council tax payments, between yourself & the other tenant who is also renting a room in the house. Either way you should contact your local council, advising them of the date of occupancy, and they will inform you of the council tax band the house falls under (& thereby how much your annual council tax bill will amount to) along with a monthly payment plan (depending on how you wish to pay).

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:55 pm

kentish wrote:Cause its a 5 bedroom house and tax gona be very high and only 2 people live there I am just wondering that I have to pay 5 bedroom tax or only one room tax?
A council tax bill cannot be issued per room. It's always for the entire property. If it were me, I'd speak to your landlord to understand when the remaining rooms are going to be occupied. Otherwise as you say you will have hefty council tax bill to pay, even though you are only renting one room.

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:59 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
kentish wrote:I rented one room and this is a 5 bedroom house and only one more tenant lives in another room and 3 rooms are vacant. Before only student were living there thatswhy landlord never pay tax and now we two people living here and i have no idea how much tax gonna be?
I suspect what you are describing is a house share where individual rooms are rented out independently. As it's no longer a student household, council tax will need to be paid by the occupants. FYI: it is the occupants of the property who are liable to pay council tax, not the landlord. If you have already confirmed your tenancy agreement then I suggest you discuss how you are going to split the council tax payments, between yourself & the other tenant who is also renting a room in the house. Either way you should contact your local council, advising them of the date of occupancy, and they will inform you of the council tax band the house falls under (& thereby how much your annual council tax bill will amount to) along with a monthly payment plan (depending on how you wish to pay).
So it means if annual tax is £2000 thn we both will have to share this amount even another 3 room are vacant ? or council send us only two room council tax? thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:59 pm

You will have to pay the tax according to the valuation band. As it's a 5 bedroomed property this is likely to be high and as there are two tenants you won't be able to claim a single person's discount. You should attempt to come to an agreement with the landlord where they make a contribution while the other rooms are vacant. As has already been asked, what does your tenancy agreement say? If you and the other tenant are responsible for paying the council tax between you, it would be wise to open the account before applying for BC.
The council won't issue a tax bill for only 2 rooms. As you've been advised, it will be for the whole property to be paid between you and the other tenant.
(Casa, not CR001)

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Casa wrote:You will have to pay the tax according to the valuation band. As it's a 5 bedroomed property this is likely to be high and as there are two tenants you won't be able to claim a single person's discount. You should attempt to come to an agreement with the landlord where they make a contribution while the other rooms are vacant. As has already been asked, what does your tenancy agreement say? If you and the other tenant are responsible for paying the council tax between you, it would be wise to open the account before applying for BC.
The council won't issue a tax bill for only 2 rooms. As you've been advised, it will be for the whole property to be paid between you and the other tenant.
So it means if annual tax is £2000 for 5 bedroom house thn we both will have to share this amount even another 3 room are vacant ? or council send us only two room council tax? thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:10 pm

As I and cs95tdg have already said "The council won't issue a tax bill for only 2 rooms. As you've been advised, it will be for the whole property to be paid between you and the other tenant."
If for example the annual tax is £2,000, you and the other tenant will have to pay £1,000 each but this can be made in monthly payments spread over 10 months.
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:11 pm

What does your tenancy agreement say about council tax?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:16 pm

CR001 wrote:What does your tenancy agreement say about council tax?
Tenancy agreement says all bills included, but my landlord verbally said that you are responsible for council tax.
Last edited by kentish on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Then it is the tenants responsibility to contact council and pay. You need to sort this out with your landlord as 3 rooms are not occupied. It should work out at X amount divided by 5 = individual tenants amount to pay.

Until you contact the council, you won't know what the amount is.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Then you and the other tenant are legally responsible for paying the tax on the whole property. Non payment of Council tax is a serious offence.
CR001 Are you sure there's a discount for the unoccupied rooms?
(Casa, not CR001)

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:27 pm

Casa wrote:Then you and the other tenant are legally responsible for paying the tax on the whole property. Non payment of Council tax is a serious offence.
ok wat about if I move somewhere else where the landlord is paying tax thn there should be any problem?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:30 pm

The landlord should cover the cost of the three as the rooms are unoccupied. It would be unreasonable to charge 2 separate tenants for the whole property when they dont benefit from occupying the whole property. If each tenant has their own tenacy agreement, they only have exclusive possession of their respective rooms. It is a no brainer to challenge if necessary.

If it is £1000pa, for example, each tenant should pay £200pa.

Hope this landlord has a licence for a HMO.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Interestingly, I've found this regarding the landlord's legal liability if they have a HMO licence;
RP: In a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) containing bedsits or where tenants are paying rent for individual rooms on individual tenancy agreements, it is the landlord who is liable to pay Council Tax. Rent should be set to take account of the amount the landlord must pay for Council Tax. - See more at: http://www.landlords.org.uk/news-campai ... aoOvX.dpuf

Ask your landlord about their HMO licence.
(Casa, not CR001)

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Casa wrote:Then you and the other tenant are legally responsible for paying the tax on the whole property. Non payment of Council tax is a serious offence.
What about if I move another place where the landlord is paying property tax. should there be any problem?

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:35 pm

CR001 wrote:Then it is the tenants responsibility to contact council and pay. You need to sort this out with your landlord as 3 rooms are not occupied. It should work out at X amount divided by 5 = individual tenants amount to pay.

Until you contact the council, you won't know what the amount is.
Are you sure there's a discount for the unoccupied rooms?