ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

health surcharge !!!?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

asif_sharif
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

health surcharge !!!?

Post by asif_sharif » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:02 am

applying for spouse visa for my wife went to update some info on the VISA4UK site and the first thing i see is this bullcrap about health surcharge :!: :cry: :evil: WTF

so do i need this for my wifes spouse visa application as well then ?
married 21/02/2014
21/04/15 DOCUMENTS submitted
22/04/15 reaches BHC islamabad
REFUSED 10/07/2015
appeal 31/07/2015
payment 14th August
review deadline 24th December 2015
COURT DATE 18TH JANUARY 2017
entry allowed
wife arriving 29th April 2017

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: health surcharge !!!?

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:14 am

Yes, it needs to be paid at point of application, £200 per year for the duration of the visa payable upfront.

https://www.immigration-health-surcharg ... ment/start.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

asif_sharif
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by asif_sharif » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:34 pm

so £885 plus £200
Last edited by Amber on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not disrespect other people
married 21/02/2014
REFUSED 10/07/2015
appeal 31/07/2015
payment 14th August
entry allowed

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:36 pm

It is £200 per year, payable upfront. So if a 2.5 year visa the surcharge will be £500.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:17 pm

....and a further £500 surcharge will be due when the next 2.5 year extension is applied for addition to the visa fee,
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:34 pm

asif_sharif wrote:so £885 plus £200
No, £885 is the old fees. The fees have increased from 6 April 2015, the new fee is now £956 for spouse visa.

So £956 + £500 = £ 1,456 is what you will be paying.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:43 pm

Plus £400 on top of that if applying in person.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

asif_sharif
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by asif_sharif » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:47 pm

WR1 wrote:
asif_sharif wrote:so £885 plus £200
No, £885 is the old fees. The fees have increased from 6 April 2015, the new fee is now £956 for spouse visa.

So £956 + £500 = £ 1,456 is what you will be paying.
:!: :!: :!: WTF ahhahahah are they taking the piss
married 21/02/2014
REFUSED 10/07/2015
appeal 31/07/2015
payment 14th August
entry allowed

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Yes, they certainly have taking us for a ride.

Going to be applying for my other half's ILR in a couple of months and fees jumped on 6 April 2015 from £1,093 to £1,500, a £407 increase :evil:
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:15 pm

This surcharge is something i find most troubling and disturbing, especially in the case of tax payers and their family.

If some of these tier 1 and 2 migrant pay huge amount of taxes, and NI contribution, which is designed for the Health services, why should they be expected to pay surcharge as well, when they had already paid it.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

asif_sharif
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by asif_sharif » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:21 pm

so after 2 and half years i have to pay another £1456 :?:
married 21/02/2014
REFUSED 10/07/2015
appeal 31/07/2015
payment 14th August
entry allowed

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:37 pm

2.5 year extension current fees = postal £649 + £500 NHS surcharge. In person application an additional £400
ILR = postal £1500. In person application an additional £400
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

drmastoi

Post by drmastoi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:41 pm

Yes They are taking the Piss.

You Pay taxes
You Pay national Insurance monthly
You pay huge Visa Fees and extension fees every 1-2 years.

but Now take it or leave it

Health surcharge 200 pounds per person per year additional.

I wonder what National Insurance is for

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:13 pm

drmastoi wrote:Yes They are taking the Piss.

You Pay taxes
You Pay national Insurance monthly
You pay huge Visa Fees and extension fees every 1-2 years.

but Now take it or leave it

Health surcharge 200 pounds per person per year additional.

I wonder what National Insurance is for
Towards a UK state pension. To enable you to claim contribution based benefits.

The "N" in the British NHS stands for National. Therefore it is the British National Healthservice, not IHS "International" Health Service.

The British have always been overly generous in letting immigrants use the healthservice for free when they arrive, even if they have arrived with existing medical conditions. Many countries still would not let an immigrant have a visa if they have exisiting medical conditions, to protect their countries healthservice for their own citizens and even if they are healthly, they still wouldn't let them use their healthservice for free until they were PR.

In fact, the British are still being generous in letting people arrive with existing medical problems and only having to pay £200 a year! A basic medical insurance would cost more than that and wouldn't cover any existing conditions! EEA citizens and their dependants will not be offered the chance to buy this cheap £200 per year health surcharge and many will have to buy (and now use) their CSIs of be faced with a bill of 150% the cost of NHS. With all these NHS checks, their own country may not be willing to pay for their NHS treatment on their EHIC if they "reside" in another country as the UK will now be billing other EEA countries.

The high numbers of immigrants wanting to be British over the last 10/15 years, has caused a massive strain on the British NHS as well as other services ie schools, roads, benefits, jobs, housing, social housing, ect.

If you don't like the changes, then move back home or see if another country will take you. If you aren't doing a job on the UK's shortages list, then the UK doesn't need you and that will free that job up for someone else.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:22 pm

And there is the option of claiming NI contributions and some tax back if/when you leave the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:32 pm

CR001 wrote:And there is the option of claiming NI contributions and some tax back if/when you leave the UK.

That's their probloem solved then :lol: Next

asif_sharif
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by asif_sharif » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:23 pm

956+600 for my wife !!!
married 21/02/2014
REFUSED 10/07/2015
appeal 31/07/2015
payment 14th August
entry allowed

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Correct
(Casa, not CR001)

drmastoi

Post by drmastoi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Petaltop wrote:

The "N" in the British NHS stands for National. Therefore it is the British National Healthservice, not IHS "International" Health Service.

The British have always been overly generous in letting immigrants use the healthservice for free when they arrive, even if they have arrived with existing medical conditions. Many countries still would not let an immigrant have a visa if they have exisiting medical conditions, to protect their countries healthservice for their own citizens and even if they are healthly, they still wouldn't let them use their healthservice for free until they were PR.

In fact, the British are still being generous in letting people arrive with existing medical problems and only having to pay £200 a year! A basic medical insurance would cost more than that and wouldn't cover any existing conditions! EEA citizens and their dependants will not be offered the chance to buy this cheap £200 per year health surcharge and many will have to buy (and now use) their CSIs of be faced with a bill of 150% the cost of NHS. With all these NHS checks, their own country may not be willing to pay for their NHS treatment on their EHIC if they "reside" in another country as the UK will now be billing other EEA countries.

The high numbers of immigrants wanting to be British over the last 10/15 years, has caused a massive strain on the British NHS as well as other services ie schools, roads, benefits, jobs, housing, social housing, ect.

If you don't like the changes, then move back home or see if another country will take you. If you aren't doing a job on the UK's shortages list, then the UK doesn't need you and that will free that job up for someone else.

Fact is part of national insurance is used to fund NHS ,

Immigrants coming from abroad pay taxes ,national insurance contributions and they are not entitled to any state benefits until they are PR.There are people who have not contributed single penny into system and get all entitlements e.g European Nationals and government can not do a thing about this.Immigrants are easy targets . .British government is not generous at all ,They are ripping off immigrants for years by high applications fees and extension fees and now an other surcharge.
Private insurance will cost 15-20 pound a month here in UK and will give better service without long queues for appointments .

Yes I dont like the changes and i will not move back home as you suggested or go to canada, Australia, NZ ,US who offer better opportunities for immigrants ,Its my won choice,
I will still keep criticizing the rip off policies made by opportunists.

chibakun

Post by chibakun » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Not to mention the fact that you can't make a doctors appointment! No Health Service more like.

My wife is a foreign national from outside the EU and she has work colleagues , say Italian married to Chinese, and they don't have to pay any of these fees because he is from an EU member country. How's that for an epic joke?

In fact I know of a French national on benefits in London and he's married to a Mongolian. If it was UK married to Mongolian it would be bye bye.

And we will never leave the EU.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:38 pm

chibakun wrote:My wife is a foreign national from outside the EU and she has work colleagues , say Italian married to Chinese, and they don't have to pay any of these fees because he is from an EU member country. How's that for an epic joke?

In fact I know of a French national on benefits in London and he's married to a Mongolian. If it was UK married to Mongolian it would be bye bye.
Well said.

The same goes for meeting the financial requirements. A British National would have to demonstrate income of at least £18,600 in order to sponsor his/her non-EEA spouse, whereas the EEA National does not have to meet this financial criteria on order to sponsor their non-EEA spouse.

You know the system is messed up when a European Citizen has more rights than a British Citizen in the UK! :roll:

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Petaltop wrote: If you don't like the changes, then move back home or see if another country will take you. If you aren't doing a job on the UK's shortages list, then the UK doesn't need you and that will free that job up for someone else.
And what, pray tell, about those who are in a shortage occupation and STILL have to pay this ridiculous surcharge!? I have been paying in for a ridiculous amount of years and have only been to the odd GP appointment!

sherriesmum

Post by sherriesmum » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:18 pm

if your application for a visa is refused as most people know you loose the application fee.is this nhs surcharge refunded if you arnt succesful in applying for a visa to the uk.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:21 pm

sherriesmum wrote:is this nhs surcharge refunded if you arnt succesful in applying for a visa to the uk.
Yes it is.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

dr_sea
Newly Registered

Post by dr_sea » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:30 pm

drmastoi wrote:
Petaltop wrote:

Fact is part of national insurance is used to fund NHS ,

Immigrants coming from abroad pay taxes ,national insurance contributions and they are not entitled to any state benefits until they are PR.There are people who have not contributed single penny into system and get all entitlements e.g European Nationals and government can not do a thing about this.Immigrants are easy targets . .British government is not generous at all ,They are ripping off immigrants for years by high applications fees and extension fees and now an other surcharge.
Private insurance will cost 15-20 pound a month here in UK and will give better service without long queues for appointments .

Yes I dont like the changes and i will not move back home as you suggested or go to canada, Australia, NZ ,US who offer better opportunities for immigrants ,Its my won choice,
I will still keep criticizing the rip off policies made by opportunists.

I agree drmastoi. Also I would like the option to go private. Better yet I demand it. why should I pay £200 a year for the NHS when I can pay about the same amount and get private health insurance with a much better service. This is crap ( excuse the language).
See this link for a very good argument against the surcharge!