ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help Please!!- Held in Immigration

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sop96oxox
Newly Registered

Help Please!!- Held in Immigration

Post by Sop96oxox » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:17 pm

My boyfriend who's from India arrived at Heathrow airport (London), he was then being held in immigration as they wanted to know the reason for his visit. He said it was tourism, but they saw he only had £700 in his bank account with him, they said he needs a minimum of £4000 with him and said he wont be able to last with only £700. He then went on to explain how his dad who will be in the uk soon can help, and how I can also help. This was four hours ago and I haven't heard a word since. Can they be keeping him this long for this reason? And what can they actually do- send him back to India, let him stay..?

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Help Please!!- Held in Immigration

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:27 pm

4 hours isn't unusual. They may send him back to India on the next available flight. Or if he's lucky, they'll allow him to enter but perhaps on a shorter visit than he intended.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Highly_Skilled

Post by Highly_Skilled » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Sop96oxox wrote:My boyfriend who's from India arrived at Heathrow airport (London), he was then being held in immigration as they wanted to know the reason for his visit. He said it was tourism, but they saw he only had £700 in his bank account with him, they said he needs a minimum of £4000 with him and said he wont be able to last with only £700. He then went on to explain how his dad who will be in the uk soon can help, and how I can also help. This was four hours ago and I haven't heard a word since. Can they be keeping him this long for this reason? And what can they actually do- send him back to India, let him stay..?
Yes, Immigration Authorities have the power to not allow entry to the UK if they believe that the subject will not adhere to the conditions of their visa. If not satisfied they can send him on the next flight back to India.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:36 pm

Without knowing the full details, it's difficult to predict the outcome. How long is he planning to visit on this occasion? Has he been to the UK before?

Its about him satisfying the border staff of his visit so either they can let him go or detain him.

The border staff do have the authority to cancel the visa and send him back to India on the next available flight. There maybe something is his travels plans or travel history that has aroused suspicion for the border staff to investigate further.

If immigration staff suspect the conditions of the visa are likely to be breached, or maybe he's been spending too much time in the UK, or he has not the financial capability (as you state) to support his stay or some other reason, then chances of sending him back are likely.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided